Chapter 15: Scheme

(enid pov)
Xavier comes back empty handed, and sits down next to me. "She didn't leave your side the entire time," he tells me, head in his hands. "Only because she felt bad about it. Not because she cares, or likes me," I respond. He looks up at me. "Do you remember anything from when it happened?"

I look at him. "A man stabbed me. Then they went for Yoko. Someone was screaming. Then..." I shudder. "Someone was screaming. My name. And other things. I don't remember. It was..."

"Raw. True," Xavier finishes. I nod, gripping my blankets. "That was Wednesday. She couldn't look away from you. I don't mean that she didn't leave your side when you were here. She found you. She rode in the back of the ambulance with you. She stood in the corner during the operation. She genuinely hasn't left." I pause. "She would go to the bathroom. And she would make me watch you while she was there. And she would run back, and resume her watching." I look up at the girl, who is crying silently. But she looks at me with full control. "I think you can go. I will be back at Nevermore when I am done recovering." I nod, this was not unexpected. "Get better," I smile. She nods without expression. I hurry out the door, hoping I said enough.

(excerpts from the Bianca, Yoko, Xavier, Ajax group chat [Ajax has an android])
Xavier: Ok. I told Enid about how Wednesday was when she was under, and she had me leave.

Bianca: Nice work. I'll talk to Wednesday.

Yoko: I'm so glad we are finally doing something about this.

Ajax: For real. They are being ridiculous.

Xavier: btw Wednesday ran into the woods alone.

Ajax: What? Dammit. I'll find her.

*Ajax went offline*

Bianca: We have to figure out what to do about Enid. She has no reason to take Wednesday back now.

Xavier: True. She doesn't know how deeply Wednesday is... y'know.

Bianca: Don't like the word love, huh?

Xavier: No! I just

Yoko: lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove

*Ajax came online*

Ajax: Oooh, are we messing with Xavier? Love Love Love Love Loooooooovvvveee!

Xavier: Shouldn't you be finding Wednesday?

*Ajax went offline*

Bianca: lol

Yoko: They are so in love, too

Bianca: More honest then the other two. But less in love tbh

Yoko: ikr

Xavier: Can we move on?

Bianca: Whatever, lover boy.

Yoko: Ok. Enid.

Bianca: Wednesday just needs to make it up to her. We can't do that for her.

Xavier: Surely we can push them in the right direction

Yoko: Maybe...

Bianca: Wednesday just needs to be honest.

Ajax: Why are you guys meddling? Maybe Enid is just better off without Wednesday!

Bianca: ?

Ajax: Wednesday stole my phone

Yoko: Dammit, Ajax.

Ajax: Sorry!

Xavier: Whatever. Just get Wednesday back here. We have time to work on her, Enid probably won't be cleared for another few weeks.