Chapter 17: Clarity

(enid pov)
Wednesday looks at me, her face sad but unreadable. She places a hand gently on my cheek. I touch it lightly, blushing. I smile softly. Her face crumples. I startle slightly, worrying I've done something wrong, but she throws her arms around me, burying her face in my neck. I get knocked back slightly. She pulls back, and I look in her eyes. She looks lost and confused. I pull her back in, letting myself trust one last time.

(wednesday pov)
I pull back, prepared for the loss. Enid watches me, and then pulls me back towards her, squeezing my waist and I could die right here and be happy.

Eventually the hug ends. I glance over at a small group clumped behind some bushes, glaring again. They all pretend to be distracted. I turn to Enid. "Can we talk somewhere private?"

She nods quickly, and I help her up. "How are you feeling?" I ask as we walk. The girl has an arm wrapped around my waist, leaning on me slightly. "I'm pretty much good, considering I got stabbed last month," she chuckles. She doesn't pull away, and I don't mind so much. She takes me to the old room. We step in the doorway, and I take in the scent, stepping into my side. "I feel rather... sentimental," I laugh. Enid watches me. "You going soft on me, Addams?"

"In your dreams," I smile. She raises her eyebrows, and sits down in the center of the room, leaning against her side of the window. I match it, sitting next to her against my side. My side of the room is untouched, but I don't mention it.

(enid pov)
Wednesday sits next to me, leaning against her side of the window. I blush as she looks at her side of the room, untouched, but she says nothing.

I turn to her. "Why did you leave, Wednesday?" I ask. She looks away, and I hesitantly put a hand on her shoulder. "I was scared," she admits. "Of what?"

"You. Myself. I don't know." Her head falls onto her knees. I keep my hand where it is. "I'm not scared of you," I tell her, unsure if that's what she needs. "You should be. All I do is hurt people."

I pause. "No," I reply. She looks at me. "What?"

"No. You have hurt me by leaving, but that's not who you are. That is your fear. When you are... you, you make me incredibly happy. You won't admit it, but you are sensitive and caring. I... I..." I stop, pulling my hand back.

Wednesday looks up at me, hard. "I am in love with you," she says.

Then she stands up, and turns to me, extending a hand. I take it, and she helps me up. "I am going to leave now, but I don't want to leave you. I am going to give you time to figure out what you feel, and I will be here. Unless you don't want me to be. Fortunately, I don't have to request to change back here unless it is what you want. I will await your call." She turns around, and starts to leave. I grab her hand. She turns back, eyes torn with hurt and filled with tears. "I love you, too." Her eyes widen, and the tears run down. I wipe them aside with my thumb, caressing her cheek.

"Can I kiss you?"

The question takes me by surprise, but I nod my consent immediately.

Wednesday grabs my cheeks, pressing her lips to mine. I place a hand around her waist, pulling her into me. My entire body wants nothing but her.

(wednesday pov)
"I love you, too," she says. The world seems to stop. The tears of sadness pour down my face, but I feel ecstatic. Enid places a hand on my cheek as she wipes them off. "Can I kiss you?" The words tumble out of my mouth unexpectedly, but I've never meant anything so much.

Enid nods. I grab her cheeks with my hands, pulling myself to her with desperation that can only come from the level of repression I have forced upon myself.

I never cared much for kissing. I always thought it was sort of a waste of time, pointless and dumb. And kissing Tyler was no fun at all, even without the vision or murder thing taken into account.

But kissing Enid is... different. Electric. Incredible.