Chapter 7: Forced Vacation Part 3

(murray sinclair pov)
Enid isn't the same. Her nightmares are back, and she doesn't seem to be handling them well. The full moon comes around about three days after her friend gets sick. She wolfs out, as expected. And then she goes crazy. She destroys her favorite mossy clearing, tearing the bark to shreds. When she comes back that morning, she lies on her bed in sadness. Ajax comes the next day. She doesn't smile at him. She doesn't do much of anything. He kisses her when he arrives, and she just lets him. It hurts my heart to see her like that. Just enduring life. After two days of Ajax, I suggest she text Wednesday to check up. That was the last time I saw her smile. She yells at me, but I see her send one, closing her eyes as she hits send, and keeping her phone nearby in case she gets a response. She doesn't, and she becomes more and more despondent. She still isn't smiling. The boys and I try to make her laugh, and we watch all her favorite movies. Ajax tries, too, but eventually he leaves, angry at her for being so unresponsive. I hear him call her that night, apologizing for being so cruel. Enid waves him off, and then cries herself to sleep again. My heart aches for her, but I know it isn't my place. Not yet.

(enid pov)
I'm still wearing the W necklace. I don't think I could take it off, though I don't know why. The nightmares are worse. Wednesday is always dead, and then I'm left alone. Then Ajax comes and saves me from the woods and tells me everything is ok, but it isn't because Wednesday doesn't show up and make it ok. It is a relief when he leaves. It shouldn't be. I love Ajax. I love him. I text him that. "I love you, Ajax," the text says. And then I cry myself to sleep and dream of losing Wednesday Addams, who still hasn't responded to my text. Eventually, I call Thing. The phone gets picked up immediately. "Have you seen Wednesday?" Thing signs urgently. "What? No. Is she feeling better?"

"What? She wasn't sick, it was fake. You haven't seen her? She was-"

I hang up. It was fake? She just wanted to leave. She didn't want to be around me anymore. I thought we were friends! What happened? I'm sure there is an explanation. Then couldn't she have just given it? I can't believe I let myself down this road. I pull out my phone.

"Hey, Ajax! I miss you. Do you want to come over?"

(thing pov)
Wednesday isn't the same after the visit to Enid. She isn't sick, her cough disappears suspiciously fast. She sits in her room all day, staring out the window at the trees. I bring her food every day, and she eats it without looking away from the window. I try to talk to her, but she refuses to look at me so I can't communicate. I know she misses Enid. Every now and then I see her take off the necklace. Then she puts it back on, and tears carve paths down her face in complete silence. I sit on her shoulder, trying to make her aware that people care. Pugsley sets up a music account on her phone, and makes her some playlists that she listens to with no response. Except one particularly upbeat song, which makes her slump onto the bed, into a restless sleep. It's the only sleep she gets, so I put it back on every night.

Eventually, after six days, I force her to do something. "We are watching a movie," I sign, balanced on her window sill so she has to look at me.

"No," she replies, deadpan. "Yes. You can just watch one on your phone, but you are doing something." Wednesday rolls her eyes, and picks up her phone. I scurry onto her shoulder. There are two Star Wars movies saved and downloaded. She drops it, and stands up. I fall onto the bed, and turn to watch her as she grabs her coat and storms out and into the woods. Her phone buzzes, and I scurry over to check it. "Hey, Wens! Hope you are feeling better! Have you seen the next two movies yet?" Enid. The text is from Enid.

Realization dawns. I look outside the window, but Wednesday is gone. She can't hide from this forever, but she will try to. And she doesn't have water. I grab the phone and dial a number.
"Wednesday?" the person asks. I prop it up on the window and sign frantically.

"Are you sure I'm the right person?" The only person.

"Ok," Bianca nods, "I'm on my way."

Bianca arrives a day later. "Where is she?" the siren asks. "In the woods," I sign urgently, "She has been gone since yesterday. And she doesn't have water."

"She's fine, Thing. I don't know why I'm even here."

"Thank you for coming. Wednesday needs a normal friend."

"Why not Enid?"
I pause, unsure of what to say. Bianca nods. "Whatever. None of my business. Wednesday saved the school. I'm just returning the favor."

I grab some water from the fridge and hand two bottles to Bianca, who nods. "Which way did she go?" she asks. I point her in the right direction, and she heads off.

She comes back empty handed that evening. "I'll go out again tomorrow. I'm starting to worry," the siren tells me. I nod, nervous. "I'll find her," she reassures me. But she doesn't. On the fourth day, Puglsey is searching with us. Then, on the fifth, I get a call from Enid.

"Have you seen Wednesday?" I sign, urgently.

"What? No. Is she feeling better?"

"What? She wasn't sick, it was fake. You haven't seen her? She was-"

Enid hangs up. Dammit. I forgot that she didn't know Wednesday was faking. I assume that means she didn't see her, but I also just messed some things up. Dammit.

(bianca pov)
 That goddamn Addams girl. I nod to her brother as we cross in a clearing, both of us turning and going another way. We've been searching for seven days.

Then I find her.

More accurately, I step on her.

(enid pov)
WWWL? Why. Would. Wednesday. Lie. It keeps me up every night. I stare at the ceiling, wondering what I did wrong. My father is worried. Ajax is oblivious. That's why I love him. Because I love him. He has been here for a couple weeks, and I can't stand it. Out of love, of course. Because I love him. I love Ajax. Of course I do. Who else would I love?

No. Not that. That isn't true. I love Ajax. I roll over, and try to go back to sleep. I'm back in my own room, Ajax where Wednesday should be.

But Wednesday chose to leave. And she lied about it. I don't even like her. Why would I? She lies and manipulates. I know that. And I love Ajax. I love Ajax. I have to. It's the only option.

Wednesday, who was freezing outside, leaving me in her bed to rest.

Wednesday, who was holding onto me like I'm all that matters.

Wednesday, who let me hold her hand.

Wednesday, who put her hand on my chest.

Wednesday, who placed my initial on her neck.

Wednesday, following up on my nightmare.

Wednesday, who shielded me from Tyler.

Wednesday, who I would die for.

"Wednesday," I breathe, opening my eyes.

No.

No.

I can't let this...

Be...

What...

I...

Feel...

I love Ajax. That is how it has to be. However much I actually feel.

My fingernails extend, my ears grow. I howl at the sky, and run out of my room.