Chapter 14: Honesty?

(xavier pov)
Enid doesn't wake up for two weeks after the operation. The doctors say that is normal considering the blood loss. Wednesday is either sitting in the room or in the connected bathroom. She doesn't talk. She doesn't do anything. She sits against the wall about two meters from Enid, waiting patiently. She ignores the chair right next to the bed.

Enid sleeps peacefully, no complications occur. Ajax and I stay close by, trying to support the girls. I see the bags under Wednesday's eyes grow, and I hear her sobbing every night. When Enid wakes up it will be better. I hope. She can't keep going like this.

(wednesday pov)
I hate going to the bathroom. I wash my hands quickly and hurry back. Xavier brings me food and water, and sits with me sometimes. Eugene stopped by once and showed me photos of the bees. I listened happily, but barely looked at them. Always watching the girl in the hospital bed to make sure her chest is still moving. Once I'm sure she's ok... well... for the first time in my life, I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

(enid pov)
I blink slowly, looking around. The room is bright, but it is dark outside the window. Xavier Thorpe walks in the room with a bottle of water, and we make eye contact. He nudges an unseen person. They exchange muted dialogue. Wednesday Addams stands up shakily. My jaw drops. "She's barely slept," Xavier tells me. He walks over, handing me the bottle. I smile, and drink lightly, letting the cool water pass through my chest. "Welcome back," he grins. I nod. He looks from me to Wednesday, then back. "I should go." He hurries out of the room, Wednesday glaring after him. I smile softly.

Wow. I haven't done that in a while. Wednesday knows it, too, and she looks at the floor. I reach my hand out, unable to sit up and reach hers. She silently stepped so that I could hold her fingers in mine. A worker peaks their head in, and sees me awake. "Do you need anything?" they ask kindly. "Is there any way I could sit up a bit more?" I ask. They nod, and move something on the bed that moves me upwards. "Anything else?" I point to Wednesday's chair. "Move that chair next to the other one, please." They nod, slightly confused, and move the chair next to the other one by my bed. Wednesday tenses slightly, and the employee heads out the door, assuring me that the doctor would come if I pressed the button next to me. I thank them, and turn back to the Addams girl. I tug her hand gently. She doesn't budge. "Wednesday," I pleade. She wipes her eyes, but stays planted on the floor. "Look at me!" I beg. She doesn't. "What did I do?" My voice goes quiet. She looks up. "Nothing," she whispers. "Then why did you leave? Why are you trying to leave again?" I exclaim. "Because of what I did." Her voice sounds genuinely pained. I ball my hands into fists. "What did you do, then?" She looks up at me. She opens her mouth. She shuts it again. "Wednesday, talk to me. I... I... please."

"I stayed to make sure you would wake up. You have. So I can go now."

"No!" I sob. She starts to walk away. "Wednesday, I need you!" I gasp, eyes like waterfalls. She stops in the doorway. "You'll get over it."

She is gone. Tears keep running down my cheeks, but I am otherwise a statue. Right where she left me. Again. Again. And I let her walk away. I would run after her. I would put my hand on her cheek and I would... I would... she would leave. I have to move on. Maybe she was right. Xavier walks in the door to see me. "Maybe I'll get over it," I choke out. He just looks at me.

(xavier pov)
I stare at the sobbing girl. Wednesday... left. Dammit. I turn, and follow her. I catch her walking alongside the road. In the rain. "Wednesday!" I call from my car. She hurries up, but I drive along beside her. Eventually, she looks over. "What?" she snaps. I stop, and open the passenger seat. "At least let me drive you back to the school." She sighs, and gets in the car. "How could you do that to Enid?" I yell, as soon as the car door is locked. She looks away, watching the water trickle down the window. "You left her sobbing, again." I laugh. "You are lying to yourself because you are convinced that you don't deserve to be happy. Well guess what. You are like a sister to me, and I want you to be happy."

She looks over at me, a tear working its way down her cheekbone. "Enid will be happy."

"She hadn't smiled in months after you left. And then she did, right there, when you showed up. And now you've broken it again? How self destructive can you be?" She laughs sadly. "I'm doing this for Enid. She'll be fine. We were just roommates, and she'll get over it. She'll be happy."

"Roommates?" I ask, incredulous. I pull over the car, keeping the doors locked. "Wednesday, look at me." She complies. "You love her, and you are ruining it for yourself. I don't know where you learned that but I won't let it happen."

"Yes, you will," she replies. I shake my head. She elbows me, and unlocks her own door. She leaps out, and runs into the woods. I slam my head onto the steering wheel, and go back to face Enid.

A/N: I swear it works out, okay?