New Beginnings, Missing Piece

Months later, Rosas was bustling with youth groups slung with school bags and magic wands.

Youth 1: That's the magic school, right (points to the castle)? Eeeee! I'm excited!

Youth 2: Me too! This will be the first time I get to learn magic. Maybe I can kill dragons with it!

Youth 3: Hey, not all dragons are bad. From my hometown Kumandra, they protect us from the evils there (annoyed).

They raced to the entrance, where Gabo, in a new dark purple wizard robe, and Simon, in a brown and cyan apprentice outfit, waited for them.

Simon: Welcome to Rosas Academy of Magic. My name's Simon, and I teach...yawn...wait...let me get my daily dose...

Gabo: Just don't mind him. Anyway, kids, I'm your vice principal.

Youth 1: Vice principal?

Youth 2: Why did you dress up like a grape?

The joke triggered the wizard, holding his wand tightly; he wanted to obliterate these children.

Gabo: I AM...(takes a deep breath) not a grape. I am the royal advisor and head wizard appointed by the queen.

Simon: (sips his tea) Ah, now that's good anger management. Kids, it's just his favorite color (looks at the new students). You may enter the place.

The students were too excited that they ran straight to the halls of Rosas.

Gabo: Whoa! CALM DOWN! (his wand glowed pink) Anyway, Simon, I gotta see Dahlia. She's at the border by now.

Simon: Okay...but by the time the sun dial hits 12, I need to sleep.

Gabo: I will come back before that.

Simon: Sure thing...bye (waves his hand in a tired manner).

...

Dahlia: Hey there, Gabo!

Gabo: Dahlia...so why didn't you just enter the town (annoyed)?

Dahlia: The plague outside was really bad, compared to here. I was able to cure 35 children, 41 adults, and 24 elderly.

Gabo: Oh...I got what you mean now (waves his wand).

Purple magic swirled around Dahlia. It removed her apprentice outfit and instead gave her a practical pink medieval dress adorned with hearts, and her namesake flower attached to her head.

Dahlia: You didn't need to give me a glow-up (flattered), but thank you.

Gabo: I—I—I didn't mean for that to happen! Just disinfected you (redder than beet)!

Dahlia: Hahahaha...let's go, shall we?

Gabo: Yeah! We need to go or else we'll be late for the opening ceremony!

...

Dario: Hello everyone! I am your master of ceremonies, Dario, here to welcome you on the first day of Rosas Academy of Magic. You are the first batch of students that will inspire the youth of tomorrow to help, contribute, and apply the study of magic.

The children cheered across the new auditorium, then clapped.

Dario: Anyway, as we begin the opening ceremony, let us all welcome Asha, queen of Rosas and headmistress of the Academy of Magic!

Trumpets filled the room, and guards walked around her. Her black dress stood her out from the blue environment of the auditorium.

Asha: Good morning, esteemed guests and students. I welcome you to the newly-built Academy of Magic, where all your dreams come true using this medium. Although magic has given great wonders, from providing us small necessities and forming large kingdoms, I want all of you to learn that power does not come from it, but from kindness, industry, determination, and lastly love.

She then continued the speech, recounting the school's very beginnings and gives credit to those who have helped her in the journey of sharing knowledge.

...

Safi (whispering to a child while Asha makes a speech): I actually designed those uniforms.

The young student looked at her getup: a periwinkle blue cape dress, a reddish-pink bow, and black and white shoes.

Kid 1: Really?

Safi: Yep. That's the only thing that I'm immune to.

Kid 1: Immune to what?

Safi: I have this terrible allergy. And I...ah...ah...I need to take my...medications!

...

When Asha finished her opening remarks, Hal took the stage for an intermission. She pulled many magic tricks, such as summoning a dove inside her hat, teleporting cards to the audience, pulling a train of fabric from her sleeves, making herself disappear and reappear again, and many wonders that children always oohed and ahhed in the performance.

After the orientation, the 7 previous apprentices sat down at the banquet. Cooks smelled and taste tested the food, such as tapas, croquetas, roasted pig, and red wine.

Bazeema: (sees Asha outside) Hello, Your Majesty! Would you like to...eat with us?

Asha: Me?

Bazeema: Yes.

Asha: Oh...I just need to tell the decorators where to place the red carnations.

Bazeema: Uh...let them do that (anxious, unsure)?

Asha: I guess they can handle it (enters inside the dining area).

As if it was right on time, the culinary maids served their lunch to all of them. Dario dug in like a pig, which grossed Gabo. Hal and Dahlia talk regarding their experiences outside of the kingdom. Simon was about to fall asleep again, causing his face to smudge over his plate. Safi, on the other hand, could not eat his food properly; he had to turn away every time he sneezed.

Bazeema: What do you think of everything, Your Majesty?

Asha: Everything's fine, I guess...(looks afar a window with longing)

Bazeema: Are you alright?

Asha: Yes, and please, it's okay to call me by my first name. We're all friends now.

The others grinned hearing that they have a bond of friendship with the queen.

Bazeema: We will, then. But back to what I'm asking, is there something bothering you?

Asha paused, contemplating what she had during the last 3 months. Her family has a new home—the castle—to live in. She managed well as a queen, recounting how she has done all of her royal duties on time. The school was built and now used by those who wish to learn magic, so what else did she want? Or rather, what else did she need?

Asha: I don't know. This is...incomplete. Like it's a jigsaw puzzle that lost one piece.

She held her fork and knife, and started to consume her food, but it had no taste as she was focused too much on thinking what was missing. Afterwards, they all stood up from their chairs, separating again.

Asha: Bazeema, please kindly guard the kids on the tour with Gabo and Simon. I need to go to my office. I'll see you at the ball tonight.

Bazeema: Yes, Your Majesty—I mean, Asha!

Hal: I'll keep practing new magic tricks, then.

Safi: Everyone else needs some final fitting, so yeah, we'll be going.

She walked away again from her friends, feeling slump yet stood formal. The others left, except for Dario and Bazeema.

Dario (whispering to Bazeema): I know what's missing in her life. It's not even a "what", more like a "who".

Bazeema's face lit up, getting on the same page as Dario.

Bazeema: Ooh! That must be...

Dario: Yep. That guy.

They walked down the hall, chattering about Asha's mysterious missing piece.