Chapter 4 Meetings are never easy

"Can I help you with your bags, Miss?" an attendant asked me politely as I half-heartedly attempted to lift my suitcase up the steps to the hotel, too tired from the late night planning I was subjected to. Thanking the kind man I looked up and took in the grand décor of the hotel in front of me. Never had I thought I would get the chance to stay in a hotel, they had always felt unnecessary to me as barely anyone travel nowadays.

"What are you waiting for?" Casey shouted behind me impatiently, alongside the clattering sound of suitcase against the marble stairs. "Why didn't anyone offer me help?"

I could hear sniggers but instead of replying, I hurried up the stairs, where Gerald had already taken off to. Benson had given me the reservation details which I didn't share with him, so I had no idea why he was in such a hurry.

"When is the meeting again?" I asked Caleb, without looking at him, my eyes too busy darting around admiring the chandelier and the intricate damask panelling. We went through all the details last night, but my brain was too sleep-deprived to remember anything.

"Tomorrow." Caleb said with a hint of a smile on his face. "So we have this afternoon to do some sightseeing."

My eyes flickered across to Tristan, who was pulling a suitcase of his own; he nodded at me when I caught his eyes, letting me know that he was up to speed with everything. I didn't ask why the SMS people are staying with us in this hotel; whatever it was, I didn't have the energy to stick my nose in someone else business.

"What about the other meeting?" Gerald asked; he was uncomfortably close to me and I had to resist the urge to shuffle away. This guy literally had zero social skills or concept of personal space. I mean, Tristan had like three whole metres of space on his other side.

"It's the day after tomorrow." I sighed. "You were there when we got the invite." That was the official meeting with the UGE, who hopefully would shed some light on the situation with POE Academy. Given what Tristan had told me, I would expect nothing less than a full surveillance report.

"I know; I just wanted to make sure you remembered." Casting me his classic you-are-too-below-me look, Gerald took a room key from me and set off. I shook my head, incredulous at this guy.

"Does he always do that?" Gina stifled a laugh as we watched Gerald stormed his way pass a group of startled business men and forced his way into an elevator.

"Pretty much." Casey said dismissively, as if talking about Gerald was beneath her. "Anyway, shall we regroup in half an hour? I can't wait to go and explore!"

After extracting a yes from everyone, it was Casey's turn to waltz passed those poor business men who were interrupted for the second time in five minutes. Gina threw me an incredulous look and I shook my head again, biting on the smile growing on my face.

"Those two are more alike than they think." I said and dragged my suitcase so it skirted around the crowd and everyone else followed me. Excitement bubbled up inside me each time the elevator chime signalling that we are going up a level. My own hotel room, in Pax! And we are going sight-seeing. This was definitely one of my pre-POE fantasies. I could only begin to imagine what Elizabeth would say if she knew I was here without her; then and again she was probably mad at me for not keeping in touch with her. Not that I could help it...