Chapter 37 Truth, love and family

----sorry this took so long!--------

"Hi." I spoke into the camera, feeling an odd sense of déjà vu as I stared into the wide lens, remembering the time when I had to shoot that impromptu video on the plane with Eleanor and Tristan. "I know that you must have a lot of questions regarding what happened during the Legre Peace Treaty Day. Some of you might have known about the POEs already, but for those of you who don't. Here's our story."

The camera moved from my face to Nirmal, who was standing next to me. We had decided that it would be best to speak in turns and explain each of our own ancestor and a part of the POE history.

We were standing in the official TV studio at Pax, where all the news segments are shot and produced before sending out to the world. I would have thought they would arrange a recording; but a live broadcast was both a blessing and a curse. We had to make sure we didn't give out any information that would be classified or say something wrong. It wasn't easy coming up with a usable script in short notice, but this morning was the best timing we could get and we couldn't wait any longer.

"We might be called Protectors of Earth." When the camera finally panned back to me, I started delivering our closing speech, jolted out of my little reverie. "But we are just as human as you. We want to protect the world and the legacy that our forefathers had fought for. We are all in this together, help us to make sure that we have a future on this Earth.

The cameraman held up a hand as he counted down from five before cutting the shot and I breathed a sign of relief; there were a few stumbles here and there, but overall it was better than I would have hoped for.

"You are good to go." The producer smiled and nodded at us, seemingly at ease with the fact that we were POEs. I hadn't exactly been out and about much, but the people that I had met hadn't seemed alarmed by us. By now our faces had been screenshot repeatedly from the livestream and discussion had brewed up a storm online. If the UGE hadn't been so preoccupied with the Apocalypse's threat, they would probably want to kill us.

However, I wasn't an idiot and I knew that we had a short time window to imprint a good impression on the public. The UGE, and to be honest, quite a lot of people won't be so willing to embrace POEs with an open arm. And that's just how the world works. We needed to show the world that we are not the threat, while using the powers that might be what they are afraid of to help protect them. It was a delicate balance.

"Let's go." Viktor appeared next to me, and I nodded. Shaking the stray thoughts from my head, I had done all that I could to try and make things better, but there will never be an ideal situation when people would suddenly accept POEs open armed. They will always be afraid of things that are out of their control.

"How are we going back?" Joelle asked; it wasn't a far walk from Katerina's apartment from here, and our driver had disappeared. Just as we thought the UGE were being cooperative, they pull a stunt like this. It was almost like Vulture was coordinating everything, it was definitely his style.

"We can always walk." Lorenzo sniggered, and I wondered why he was so unaffected. After all, the Apocalypse now knew exactly which side he was playing for and who he really was. I would have hid under a rock. But he seemed perfectly happy.