Epilogue

One year later

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to pay tribute to Katerina Falcon, Saralisa Spencer and Chungkit Wong, and to honour those who had died trying to attain peace." The eulogy speaker started, and all I could think about was how the Originals would have hated a funeral like this, and how much I wished they were here with us now. Closing my eyes, I tried to tune out the droning voice of the random guy who had never known them. I was asked to speak at the funeral, but I declined, knowing that I would be reduced to tears if I tried.

"This is what they wanted." Tom put an arm around me and I snuggled closer to him. The attendance was small, because they didn't want anyone else knowing that they have passed; they wouldn't even be having a funeral if it wasn't for the insistence of the families.

"Death is only part of the journey." Katerina had said to me, the palm of her hand resting on my face. "To us, it would be a blessing, to be able to finally rest after all these years."

"But we need you here." I said, tears welling up in my eye. I didn't say anything more, because there was no reason for them to continue to sacrifice themselves for the world anymore. We had asked so much of them, it's time to let them rest.

"You have done better than anyone of us had ever hoped." Katerina said, smiling and looking around at the castle. "This place might have been my home for the last three centuries, but it has also been my prison. I am glad to be rid of this place."

"How are you going to...?" I asked, trailing off. Saralisa and Chungkit Wong were talking to their family respectively, and Katerina took off one of her rings and handed it to me.

"We knew a day like this would come." She answered, I took the ring and turned it over in my hand. It was silver, with a princess cut sapphire in the middle. There was a glint when I looked at it, but it's gone when I blinked. "Keep this ring hidden, but not out of reach. Keep it here."

I was too upset to argue with her, so I slipped the ring into my pocket and promised to hide it for her.

"Please don't be sad." Saralisa said, as I accompanied Katerina and walk with the trio towards the room that their coffin laid in. "This is what we want. It's time for your cycle to begin."

The word Saralisa had used. Cycle. The three of them had gone into the room and we had waited for a day before going in, as they have instructed to find them in their respective coffins. They didn't have many requests for their funeral, except that their faces must not be shown or there to be any photograph, and only those in the Legacy families and selected few could attend. I had to move the Originals' portrait into a secret room as well.

"Is this seat taken?" a familiar voice asked and I turned up to see Viktor and Charmain. Giving them a smile and surreptitiously wiping away any tears on my face, I nodded and scooted over to make room for them.

"How is everything? How's the round up?" I whispered at Viktor, whose hand was holding Charmain's. I quickly looked at the girl and she gave me a timid smile. Yes!