Chapter 32 He's just not that into you

----dashline requested by @krissiachua - also, twitter chat on 7pm EST 22/4/16 with Scikick (which is like 7am 23/4/16 for me...------

"What?" It wasn't like that possibility had never occurred to me, but thinking about it and having it confirmed was two very different things.

"I am sure you must have at least guessed; they aren't even trying to hide it as much anymore, grabbing POE from everywhere." Lorenzo said, clearly thrilled at being able to get all this information off his chest, which was what he was supposed to do.

"So everyone from the Academy..." I trailed off, not sure why I was even asking such an obvious question. I saw Joan when we were at the Academy, the way she acted and all – she wasn't herself.

"The good thing is, they are all alive." Lorenzo said, then pointed a finger at me. "You, however, seem to be high on their capture list, dead or alive." I felt a chill spread through my body – I didn't like the idea of me being on their hit list; in fact, I was hoping they wouldn't know who I was.

Throwing me a concerned look even though we were perfectly safe at Pax, Saralisa urged Lorenzo to elaborate.

"When a group of you escaped the Test, and didn't eve return to the POE Academy they investigated." Lorenzo continued, drumming his fingers on the table in an annoying manner. "They found out your powers and who you are through some spies in the Academy. They were planning on invading them immediately, but the headmaster activated that weird barrier and nothing could go through."

My mind immediately went to Diego and Iago and I was thankful that neither of the two were mind reader, that would have been awkward.

"So the people that were taken from the Ganesh guards training?" I asked and Lorenzo nodded.

"They and a few other mercenaries were targeted. It's because younger minds are more susceptible to the change, not to mention physically fitter." Lorenzo explained,

"And what do you know about this man name Vit?" Saralisa asked and Lorenzo's smile dimmed.

"He's known as the Commander in the organization, and his family had been running the show since the Old Age." Lorenzo said, "I had only ever saw him in person once, when I was brought in with my group. We were blindfolded to keep us from knowing the exact location and layout of the base. He was there to meet with our group supervisor, and if I didn't know who he was I would never have guessed."

"Why?" I asked, intrigued by Lorenzo's assessment of the man who was behind the world's chaos.

"He looks like an ordinary guy that you will see in any Citybase. In fact, his face is so generic that it's hard to remember what he looks like at all." Lorenzo answered, then shuddered. "You would have expected the head of an organization determined to kill humanity to look the part. But he doesn't."

Biting back the retort in which I let him know how much he looked like a mafia boss from the Old Age, I shrugged. I didn't look like I could be the descendent of a powerful man who was alive three hundred years ago, and yet here we were.