Chapter 22 It's time

Closing my eyes, my hands shot up into the air as though I was trying to reach out for the plane hovering above us, and in a way, I was.

Letting my mind wander up, the headache that was screaming inside my head quietened down as though it knew that I needed to concentrate as much as possible at that moment. It wasn't like that I didn't believe Vulture and Iris, but the fact is, I didn't; at least not completely.

The second barrier promptly broke on contact with the plane, and the field shattered into a million twinkling blue lights which, luckily for us, rained on the outsiders. Using this as cover, I let my mind shot upwards, but it stopped outside the plane, unable to penetrate.

"Your little mind tricks won't work." Vulture snickered, coming up beside me as I lowered my arms, frustrated. "The UGE has developed an electromagnetic field that would disrupt and cancel out any abnormal brain wave. A.K.A any of you POEs from using your abilities to snoop on us."

Resisting the urge to hit him, I reminded myself that he was our ride out of here. I didn't sense any hostility from him or Iris, and against my better judgement, I knew this was our best shot. "Amery, I need you to stay with Aulia." I grabbed hold of the girl, who had reached us by now. Nodding at me, she donned her goggles back on and set off to Aulia, who was only just out of earshot from us, shouting directions for the students to fire the remaining bombs. I turned around to Iris, who was still next to me along with Vulture.

"Is the plane from the UGE?" I asked, trusting her to at least give me a straight answer without half a dozen snarky comments, unlike her buddy there. Iris nodded, tapping on her personal device which immediately projected a holographic display of the captain tapping away on the control abroad the plane. Sighing with relief on the inside, I nodded at her and she actually gave me a smile in return.

"You better round up everyone." She said, looking up from the swirling dust. "We don't have much time."

"Help me get them out safely." I asked, looking into Vulture's eyes and prayed that he could be serious for once in his life. Despite the fact that Iris was more reliable, I knew he was the one calling the shots between the two.

"I will try." Vulture said, a flicker of a normal person surfacing behind his joking façade. I wondered what had happened to him for him to be the way he was. But that was probably a story for another time.

"Everyone gather at the front door!" I shouted, using every bit of my strength to project the message both verbally and mentally. The giant plane was beginning to descend, causing a drift and dust started to blow up everywhere obscuring everyone's view. I glanced towards the now wide open doors, more worried about the people inside missing the commotion than those outside and not making it for the plane.

Leaving Aulia in charge, I reached my mind out the Jared and Diego, making sure that both of them were heading back. So far, so good.

"Gail!" a voice called out from inside the Academy and I looked up to see a boy no older than seventeen running towards me. There was something familiar about him and as soon as I stared into his eyes, I knew that this dark headed boy was Jared. There were about twenty people behind him, and I immediately realised that we were missing the group of youngsters.