Chapter 39 Va-Va-Kaboom

Having gone from London Citybase to Pax, then to the forests and the Himalayas, I thought I had seen quite a lot of the world compared to the rest of my peers. But I wasn't prepared the wave of dry heat that hit me as I stepped foot on the temporary base the UGE had set up a fair distance away from the Egypt Citybase.

"Please, come this way." A soldier greeted us immediately and gestured for me to follow him. I wasn't sure whether he meant just me or everyone, but we all just followed him towards one of the bigger tents erected in the compound. A two person high wall had already been set up around the perimeter and electric fences on top are added, they really pulled out all the guns.

"General Kirkpatrick." The soldier saluted as he stepped inside the tent before moving out of our way. I eyed the two guards stationed outside the tent, unsure of what to make of them; would they stop me from going in?

"Bring them in." The General's voice boomed out and the guards sidestepped so the entrance to the tent was completely free of obstacle and I tentatively went in. The tent was much more spacious than I thought with a complete set of furniture. General Kirkpatrick was behind a table, reading some documents standing up while a few people at the table diagonally behind him was typing furiously into the computers in front of them. A few other people were milling around too, all bore the look of either scientists or dressed in military garb.

"Welcome to the command center Miss Beckett." The general greeted me and I nodded, Nirmal, Elena, Gerald and Viktor coming up behind m/ In the end, none of the older generations had decided to come, Grandpa Hugo had pulled me aside for a quick word before we left to assure me that it wasn't because they didn't believe that a cooperation between the UGE and SMS was a necessary evil. It was more to do with them finding it difficult to actually come to terms with it. He said that it was up to us now, and he and Lynette would hold them off our case when the time comes. If we all lived that long.

I couldn't help but shook my head a little at the memory. Couldn't they see that not making a move was just as bad as flat out refusing; if not even worst They would just say by idly while the world crumbles around them, refusing to take the one solution that was offered in their face because of pride.

"I see you have brought your lieutenants." General eyed the people behind me, and I wanted to tell him that they were my friends and allies, not my subordinates. However, he didn't give me the chance and carried on talking. "I am sure you remember what we discussed."

I nodded, looking down at the piece of paper he was smoothing over and gasped. Taking a closer step, I noted the scale at the bottom and the structure displayed in the seismic graph in front. I might not be a geologist, but since Elise's power was Earthquake waves she taught me a few things about the Earth's layers. And the structures detected in the map was definitely not natural.

"We have been monitoring the area since we recovered this graph." The General said, pointing at certain locations on another map. "There has been small level of activities and we have reasons to believe that there are more entrances that we have yet to find. While you are flying here, we received the results of the chemical tests."

My heart sank as the words chemical tests registered in my mind. "There are not only high levels of radioactive elements, but TNT and various poisonous substances that should be under strict control are detected as well. Whether or not the facility is the base of the Apolcaypse; the fact that we are now finding dangerous chemicals in a secret facility underground that is not under the sanction of the UGE or the SMS sets off an alarm bell."