Chapter 15 Time Guardian

Viktor exclaimed as my eyes were slowly adjusting after the brilliant flash had died down. I could hear footsteps and some shoving as the others gathered around me.

"I think we have found the source." Casey swallowed hard. Blinking rapidly for a few more times, I was finally able to see again and couldn't help but be in awe of the machine in front of me.

"It's beautiful." I breathed, staring at the eerily lifelike machine in front of me. It had a clear casing that's fluid in shape, with an intricate set of crystal like pipes inside flowing with electric blue fluid. For a moment we all just stood there, absorbing the beauty of it.

"We need to turn it off." Diego said, snapping everyone out of the trance. "Whatever it is, it must be the reason behind all these. If we turn it off everything would return to normal."

"But the barrier would also close down." Fred pointed out, staring accusingly at Diego. He still didn't think we could trust him. "That means whoever shot Vulture out there could easily come in and attack us."

"The Academy has its own defence system." Diego said, ignoring Fred's tone. "One that Mr. Andrewson could activate if he isn't in a coma."

The two of them continued to stare at each other and Natalie threw me a please-help look. Sighing, I weighted our options in my head and turn to look at Viktor.

"Do you think you can work out how to operate this thing?" I asked and Viktor turned to inspect the machine more carefully. It wasn't as big as I imagine something that could power two massive barriers to be, only about two meters tall and one meter across. From where we were standing I couldn't see any buttons or control panels on it at all.

"There must be a hidden latch somewhere..." Viktor muttered to himself and everyone's attention focused back on him. Casey and Iris went back to wheel Vulture into the room properly, taking care not to roll the bed over Mr. Oscar.

Pulling out the notebook Mr. Andrewson gave me, I wondered if there was a clue inside for this as well. If the cover was the key to entering the second barrier, would the back be instructions to operate the machine?

Flipping to the back, I was disappointed to see that it wasn't inlaid with hieroglyphics like the front. Having leafed through the entire book, I didn't recall seeing anything that could help me with operating a futuristic machine.

"I found something." Viktor said, his body bent halfway around the machine and probed at something. Suddenly, whirling sound was coming off from the previously silent machine and everyone took a step back in alarm.

"What did you do?" I asked, panic gripping my heart as the machine continued to make noises loud enough to wake the dead. I threw a glance back at Mr. Andrewson, hoping that he would jump up from his comatose state and offer us help. No such lucks.

"I...I don't know." Viktor stammered and raised his hands into the air, taking a few steps back for good measure. I took a step forward, but Diego stopped me quickly.