Chapter 17 Prepare for War

Petrified by the intensity of the faces looking at me, I wondered if it would be a great idea to get plastic surgery or at least change my name after this. I could tell that a lot of them were blank stares, because they didn't recognised me. But a few...

"It's her!" One of the girls at the back screeched, like I was the reason her family was dead. "She's the girl that was always hanging around Tom."

"And Diego." The girl still clinging onto Diego huffed, and the boy looked at me apologetically. Mr. Andrewson was also watching me as girl after girl glared or shout at me and I resisted the urge to sigh dramatically and cover my face.

"Please, it's not like any of you had a chance with Tom." Casey's voice echoed out from the door, a bemused Viktor trailing behind her. While it warms my heart a little to see her defending me, I knew she was just going to make things worse.

"Casey!" I shouted, but it was too late.

"Tom and Gail are together, so you can all cut out the jealous act." Casey continued, before giving me a I-got-your-back-look. I could feel the surge of emotion coming from an alarmingly large number of girls in the room, barely able to contain their outrage. However, the relief from the minds of the Diego fan girls was equally impressive. Gosh – did every boy I knew got a fan team around here?

"Despite the fact that I encourage everyone to express their emotions, because they tend to implode when held up too long." Mr. Andrewson said, cutting across the chatter once again. "I think we have a more urgent matter to address."

"First thing first," Mr. Andrewson said, "We need to gather everyone up and get ready to defend ourselves when the barriers fall in five hours."

"The problem with our own backup defense system is that our power source would not last more than a day itself, seeing as our source of powers had been cut off or died down over the past six months." Mr. Andrewson said and the mood of the Great Hall began to sober up. "However much I want to shield you from this, the time has come for me to tell you the truth. The attack seven months ago was orchestrated by the Apocalypse, and they are the one who are attacking our school right now."

"Why are they doing this?" A girl asked, her voice shaking and another girl wrapped her arm around her. "What do they want from us?"

"That, Miss Harper, is the million dollar question." Mr. Andrewson sighed. "However, it is reported that they are abducting young POE all around the world. Whatever their agenda is, that remain unknown."

Scanning the faces of everyone, I noticed that while most looked scared by this revelation, a few looked thoughtful. It wasn't a question that I hadn't asked myself, but I believed that whatever the reason behind that was, it's definitely not good. My mind shuddered as I imagine being experimented upon; it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for the Apocalypse to use us as lab rats.