Chap Two

Family.

Someone had once said that word to me when I was younger. They told me that their family went on trips together, and ate together.

I was young and believed that someday my family would do the same thing. I had thought that one day my mother would hug me like she did my little sister and brother. I had also believed that one day I'd be special to my father. That one day he would pat me on the head when I got good grades.

That day never came.

I was the Omega in my family. Well...actually, of the pack, but because I was the daughter of the current Alpha, I'd been regulated to a limbo existence of Delta around the others, but a servant in my home.

Sometimes while crying in my room when my favorite things were ripped away from me and handed to my sister when she'd taken a liking to them, I wondered why I was alive.

Why am I breathing?

But I had to be careful with my thoughts. If they smelled my melancholy even for a second, I'd be sent to some facility.

There are so few of us. Me, a female, had great purpose in being a brood mare. In order to further our race, they wouldn't risk me offing myself, thereby diminishing the possibility of more wolf pups.

Lifting the dirty plates off the table, I stacked them in the sink. Turning the water on, I watched as it splashed onto the white porcelain dishes.

Omega.

A life sentence of being the scapegoat, and the blame. You are ignored and treated like the servant. Luckily, I was never physically abused, but one could say that the treatment of being ignored, or scorned, wasn't good either. It was a good thing that I could hunt on my own, or I'm sure by now I would have starved.

And if it weren't for the fact that Grandmother had willed me a small stipend, and demanded I go to school, I would probably have offed myself, or been sold to the highest bidder.

Females weren't really respected much for anything aside for their ability to procreate.

Shaking my head loose of said thoughts, I washed the dishes. If I didn't finish cleaning, I'd never make it to school on time.

  Walking into school, I kept my eyes on my notes as I navigated the hallways towards my locker. The chem test wasn't going to be easy, and I was sure that Mrs. Branson would have some bonus question at the end of it. It would be stupid of me to miss a chance to earn more points from her.  

Maneuvering my way through the morning traffic, I absently walked up to my locker and pushed in the code.

Helms High was a big school, but not too big that we didn't have our cliques, mostly headed by members of the four packs that resided here in Clarksville. The four packs weren't all wolves either, but they mostly kept to themselves. It didn't bother our wolf pack too much.

Originally, packs didn't live so close together, but with our people so desperate to continue the race, they'd started migrating closer to one another.

Placing my books into the locker, I didn't bother looking up when one of them passed by. Head down, eyes averted. A mantra I repeated daily to make sure I wasn't bothered by anyone who felt eager to show their dominance. Being an Omega was hard, but I'd learned ways to avoid the common challenges of my role.

Finished with shoving my items in my bag, I left the hallway towards my first class.

Later, in class, I found myself squinting trying to read Mrs. Branson's handwriting on the board.