Chapter Seven

He chuckled lifting a hand to my face, "So you don't always day-dream during the meetings?"

I frowned, "I day-dream but my ears still work and it's too obvious that my father has been irritated with Warricks growing pack."

His ice blue eyes darkened, "Warrick... is that the one who was bald?"

I nodded, "He's one of the oldest tribe members. I've never known why he and my father don't get along, but he's always been going for the tribe leader position."

"How does one go about gaining that position?" Ewan asked, I pretended to not notice his hands that slowly caressed my thigh.

My brow furrowed as I thought deeply, "Well, there are two ways. One: you could challenge my father for the seat. Of course that's seen as barbaric now and days, and of course you would then have to fight the others."

I placed a hand over his roaming one, forcing his eyes to meet mine. "Your only other choice would be to go after the family business. You would have to buy out the stocks of the other shareholders, as long as you have half owner ship you can force them to vote."

He nodded, his eyes turning cloudy with thought.

"Is that your goal? Taking over the tribes here?" I asked truly curios about his intentions.

He didn't answer but instead lifted himself up, I modestly turned my eyes away. I hated the fact I could feel the stirrings of a blush coming up.

His powerful form left the bed, I let my eyes observe his body from under my eyelashes. He wasn't badly put together, but most Alphas were physically fit. Grabbing his pants off the chair,  he pulled them on.

He turned around, sweeping a hand through his hair. "I will marry you, but I promise you it won't get in the way of your desires for your future."

Shrugging, I stood and walked over to the bathroom door. Pausing, I placed a hand on the door jam. "—That promise," I turned around, "I won't hold you to it, but—thanks for at least making it."

"Wait."

I turned my gaze back to him, my brows raised in question. 

He frowned, seeming sheepish when he asked, "Your name...I couldn't  quite remember...lass..."

He trailed off, I blinked and smiled, "It Laticia, but I prefer Argo from my friends."

He nodded, before he gave me a thankful smile.

I tapped the door once, before walking into the bathroom and shutting the door behind me. The smile on my face falling away.

I'd once trusted every promise someone made to me.

That at some point my family would love me, and that my father would look at me with pride. My grandmother would rock me back and forth, promising me that someday I would be special to someone—but let's admit it, even to my new fiancé I'm a chess piece.

**

Having finished the wash-up that I'd tried to bypass on my way to school. I quickly got dress in a large sweater and some leather leggings. Taming my hair, I pulled it into a ponytail. Spotting my cactus in the corner of the room, I grabbed the tin watering can only to realize it was empty.

Sighing, I figured it would be best to face those below, plus I'm sure I'd avoided facing them long enough.

Brushing my thumb across my name carved in the side, I tried to gather my courage.

Walking outside, I took a deep breath and headed downstairs.

There wasn't too much commotion since the most annoying one had probably been shoved out to go to school. I walked across the living room towards the kitchen.