Chapter Twenty

I tried to focus on everything the lawyer was saying, but it was almost impossible. The family lawyer was a Eagle changeling, who had a very small family that had sought protection from our tribe. Mr. Trent was a short men, with a shiny balding head and kindly expression that was complimented by the spectacles that slid to the tip of his nose.

"I no longer wish to be alpha."

Those calmly spoken words repeated over and over in my head. I couldn't straighten out my emotions. There had been a shot of happiness that had made me want to smile, followed by the suspicious weariness that I couldn't tamp down.

He no longer wished to be Alpha? Then why had I gone through with the wedding? Why had I taunted my father, and mother? I had done all of it to distract them from the fact I was gunning for the very thing they loved. The only thing they seemed able to love.

I clenched my jaw. He was reneging after he'd gotten the prize. It wasn't fair, he was ruining my future plans.

I love him. That's wasn't the point, no matter how much I loved Ewan, or thought I did. It didn't change that if, if I decided to leave I would be the bad person. I would the villain who left her husband high and dry to follow her dream.

"Exscuse me." I lifted my hand, cutting Mr. Trent off. He looked at me owlishly. He blinked slowly, "I-I'm sorry but can I speak with my husband. Alone." I added noticing my parent questioning look.

"Ah.Yes," He stood, his expression confused at my sudden interruption. While, I couldn't help smelling the curiosity off of my parents as they also stood and left. I was surprised they didn't ask or question my interruption.

I waited till the door shut, before I turned and faced Ewan whose own expression was stony. He knew something was wrong, but I was sure he had no idea of my true thoughts.

"Why?" I needed to know, I couldn't make another move until I knew. "Why have you suddenly decided that you don't want the tribe, or Light Company. It's the very reason you married me."

Ewan frowned, "Lass, I married because I desired you."

With a swift lift my hand I stopped him, "I don't need false platitudes," I couldn't stop the anger running through me, "We had an agreement, I marry you and you take over the Tribe. After which I can leave to go to school."

The temperature dropped, and I could smell the frustration Ewan felt at my bluntly spoken words.

He spoke quietly, "You still wish to leave?"

"Do I have a reason to stay?" I hadn't thought I would speak aloud but before I could the words were already out. I flinched when he growled, his eyes brightening with fury. Yet, some part of me wasn't scared but excited.

"Am I not reason enough?!" I'd never seen Ewan angry, but it was something I currently couldn't help feeling awe in. He was magnificence, sparking eyes, teeth barred and his aura nearly choked me.

Silently we stared at each other, icy blue eyes and firey amber. Both unwilling to back down. After what felt like forever Ewan droppe his gaze to the side and sighed, "Lass...I'll be the brave one and admit that I," He swallowed before he lifted troubled eyes to mine. "I love you." He voice was husky, it seemed like he was scared of saying the words aloud.

I didn't move. I didn't even dare to breathe.

Hate.

Hate was an emotion I could deal with, especially when coming from other people, but love? How could I deal with it, I never received it before. He stared at me waiting. Waiting for me to admit the same feelings or to completely deny them. I opened my mouth, but instead of speaking my lips trembled.