Chapter Eight

The next morning I slowly opened my eyes, only to frown when I saw the sleeping face of Ewan. I was sure I'd shown him to the guest room last night, after the awkward dinner with my family where he'd forced me to sit with them while they ate dinner.

The snide remarks from the highly intelligent little sister if mine didn't help. Honestly, I'd hope for my mother to step up and correct Chelsey and end her yapping. But instead she silently ate, letting Chelsey continue her complaining of my presence at the table.

As she continued speaking, feigning boredom I'd grown agitated pushing back from the table I stood.

"Um, I forgot to inform the maids of something," I focused my gaze on my father only, "May I leave?"

He gruffly nodded, taking another helping of green-beans.

Inwardly sighing in relief I left the table, making my way into the kitchen I nodded to the maids. Exiting out the back door that connected to the yard, and following a path that circled the house. I immediately felt my shoulders relax, the itchy feeling of my scars eased.

Taking a deep breath, I toed off my shoes and hearing the rustling leaves up above I started jogging, my foot barely left the ground before another one landed to carry me forward.

My nose wrinkled when I smelled deer, something wet smacked my forehead. The sky was turning and ugly grey up above, but the wolf in me was eager for a hunt. At that moment I couldn't disagree with her, nature beckoned me deeper.

The dense woods surrounded me, the underbrush cracked and squished between my toes.

When I was younger my grandmother wouldn't let me run free, she chided me whenever I'd set off across the large yard behind her house. Spinning and jumping, cartwheeling I'd smile and enjoy the sun letting it heat my naked skin.

She'd frown at me through the glass door, I'd never understood her disapproval of me.

Flicking a leaf off my shoulder I lowered myself hearing something move near me.

"So you ran here?"

Ewan said, as he stepped from the darkness, he'd left off his shoes.

Straightening, I avoided his gaze embarrassed, "Yeah, well it wasn't exactly fun."

"True," He lifted a hand blocking some of the rain from getting in his eyes. "Do you come here often?"

I nodded toeing some dirt, lifting my head up I gazed up at the canopy not afraid of the rain hitting my face. "Yes, it's easier to breath out here," I glanced over my shoulder, "Away from-well," I shrugged.

He nodded, I noticed how he kept his space this time, "Well with the rain, it's not safe for you to be out here," He smiled, "Why not wait till the weather improves?"

Facing him, I frowned thoughtfully. I wasn't used to someone worrying about me, much less being told what to do. Even if my family treated me like a servant there was a certain freedom in being ignored.

I turned my gaze to the depths of the forest, I could feel my wildness fighting against this sudden control.

Sighing, I shrugged, "Sure." Turning around I started walking back, only to stop when a hand grabbed mine.

Looking at the larger hand holding mine, I looked up at him.

He answered my silent question, by smiling, Ewan eyes glowed, "I won't get lost this way."

Ewan...I looked over his 6'4 frame, get lost? Shaking my head, I just silently turned around and walked back to the house.

Now staring at his face, I lifted myself up and stared groggily around my room. Before it occurred to me the time on the wall, jumping up I ran into the bathroom.

I was still able to go to school, so the least I could do was not be late for my first class.

**

"So...yesterday, guess who randomly talked to me?"

Currently sitting in the library, going over homework I hadn't gotten on Tuesday, luckily I'd only missed Wednesday.

Not looking up from the mock-test I was copying, I asked, "Leigh, do you or do you not see my copying your test?"

She scoffed, "Don't be snippy with me." I could feel her frown, "I'm not the one who was accosted by your friend's sister yesterday."

I jerked my head up, "What?"

She fluttered her lashes at me, "Oh, are we interested now?"

"Agh, I'm sorry." I raised my hands up, "I'm really sorry, but what did my sister want?"

She groaned, "She kept asking me things about your goals, or dreams for the future."

"And did you tell her?"

Okay, I was having a small heart attack, no one but Leigh knew about my attempt at joining colleges outside of the state. And only Leigh knew I'd gotten two responses, she was the one who also knew my plan to pretty much runaway right after graduation...well that had been the plan.

"Oh god no!"

Leigh exclaimed, before lowering her head when the librarian shh'ed her. Seeing that librarian had turned her attention to another student, Leigh leaned forward the pens in her hair shaking, "You know how I hate those kind."

"Huh, what kind?"

Giving me a mock disgusted look Leigh groaned out, "The popular kind."

She leaned back, opening her book, "So I sent the brat off with a bee in her bonnet."

I sighed, becoming thoughtful. Chelsey had never shown interest in me, or I in her. So it was suspicious that she was asking my friend-the fact she knew Leigh was my friend was astonishing, but it also raised red flags.

**

Ewan walked forward towards the house he and his people would be occupying till the lass finished school. Walking inside, he nodded to Duff who stood on the phone against the wall.

"Bruther!"

Ewan greeted Tomas, by taking his arm in strong grip. Patting his younger brother on the shoulder he smiled. "Where is Arutur?"

Tomas a lanky youth, with freckles nodded towards the back. "He's in the living room, he's been waiting for yah since morning."

Nodding Ewan, walked passed him into the living room.

Arutur sat on the couch, fiddling with the remote when he saw Ewan he stood. "Laird...?"

"Sit, the plans have changed."

Arutur was thinner then Ewan, built for speed he wore his blonde hair short and his body always trembled with energy, even now his knee jerked up and down.

"What happened?"

Ewan sighed, narrowing his eyes in thought. The other males entered. Duff was last, sitting next to him.

"The Bellamy family business...I think it be in our interest to take it."

"What?!" Duff exclaimed, "I thought we only interest in joining hands with them."

Sighing, Ewan nodded, "I ken, you had those thoughts but... the Lass."

Tomas frowned, "Is it bad?"

"She is no more than a servant." Ewan said through gritted teeth, "Her existence nothing more than wind. Bellamy tried to throw her off on me, but..."

His expression relaxed, his eyes glowing with a malicious light, "Bellamy has made a mistake."

Arutur frowned, "And what is that, Bruther?"

"The lass is no fool; she offers me her father business in exchange for her freedom."

The three men eyes widened, none of them could see the submissive dark skinned women offering her father's head on a platter.

Ewan continued, "Her demands are simple and the offer sound."

"Do you trust the lass?" Duff asked, his voice weary.

"Yes." Ewan malicious smile, turned possessive, "But she shouldn't trust me."