Chapter 1: Just Married

Afaaf's POV

It was my walima and I was the least happiest person in this banquet hall, wearing a fake smile just for the photos everybody took with me. Imran was genuinely happy. You could tell by his eyes. But me, not even near to anything what Imran was feeling.

We were taken to a smaller room connected to the two separated halls for men and women. We came in here for some photos with family. I stood by Imran, his scent as dazzling as it was on the wedding day. The photographer took our photos with flashes hurting my eyes a little. I've always been hating flashes while taking photos. We posed every way the photographer wanted us to. After trying five to six poses, I was already exhausted. Imran's sister Mariam who was standing at a side was laughing as she said something to my sister and Imran's sister in law. It's not easy to keep standing with such heavy dress and head scarf. It feels like your going to fall every step you take.

"I really need to take a seat. My back is hurting", I whispered to Imran.

He nodded and asked the photographer to go around the hall taking pictures at the men's side and come back later.

I now wore an exhausted face. This is why I didn't want a fancy wedding, well, I didn't want a marriage on the first place. It was all my mom and elder sister's persuasion. I was completely against it. I had decided at 20 that there was no chance I would let a man ruin my life like the two who ruined my mom and sister's.

Beginning to come near the age of 24 was enough hint for my mom to get me caught up in this mess.

I remember our weeks of arguments about me getting married whilst my elder sister just got divorced or getting married at all. I was no where near giving up until that day mom returned home after being mysteriously gone for 2 hours. She returned with the news of having found me a suitor. Imran.

Imran had all possible qualities my mom was searching for her future son in law. Working as a software engineer at a telecommunication company, living a well off life in a luxurious house with loving parents, an older married brother and a younger teenage sister. He also had another older brother who lived in another state because of his job. So he was a family guy. He prayed five times, had an amazing voice while recitating Qur'an (which I doubted), looked obedient, decent, down to earth and loving towards his family. He just had to win over mom!

I was hurt and mad at her for not asking me at all. She apologised and gave me a good whole lecture to why is marrying someone important. First she laid out the religious facts then the obvious ones but I still refused. I was being the most stubborn I've ever been in life. She left the room sobbing, that's what I assumed so I followed her quietly. I followed her to my sister, Ayesha's room and eavesdropped on their conversation. My mom was crying and telling her how I was behaving a couple of minutes ago. It's just that one thing that got me to say yes,

"Imran's the best guy for her and very compatible. I've tried my best but she doesn't believe me! My own daughter doesn't believe me!", that really broke my heart and it felt like my heart was being crushed under a huge mountain of guilt. Mom never understood my point of view. She kept telling me that everyone has a different fate. I knew everybody has a different fate but my fate was to remain independent and live in freedom but those tears in her eyes reminded me of those bad days and it scared me to hell to see her in that situation and on the other hand being the reason to it.

The next day when my sister came in my room to talk to me I was ready with a yes. I spent that whole night turning and tossing on my bed, trying to look ahead in my life with a man around me who would be a complete stranger and I would have to trust him with a blind fold on. Just like mom and Ayesha did and what did they end up with? Pain pain and more pain.