Chapter 42- The End(Part I)

Imran's POV

It couldn't get worse, I thought when I took a look back at the passenger seats where my wife laid in pain biting her lip, experiencing another contraction. My mother in law was there next to her, supporting her, repeating duas as she held her hands firmly. I had to take her to the hospital as soon as possible. This couldn't happen in the car. The keys almost slipped through my fingers when I tried to put them in the ignition. I uttered Bismillah under my breath as I applied force on the accelerator. I had to go as fast I could.

I heard Afaaf taking quick, deep breaths as that contraction went away. The contractions had gotten closer and closer, not leaving her with enough time to recover. She couldn't sit up. She told me it felt like her back would break. It was hard enough to get her in the car without adding to the pain. I was glad that I had checked the car's condition twice this week.

I focused on the road. I couldn't take the risk of making a wrong turn. Soon, I heard her struggling through the pain again. "We're getting there Afaaf. Just... just hold on", I tried to sound positive but all I felt was anxious of the coming moment.

****

I sat with my head in my hands as I went through the most torturous moment of my life. Every part of my body felt numb. The numbness felt heavy in my legs. Like it was impossible to move even a finger. Yet, I sat here praying as I waited. In this moment, all I wanted was to see the face of my wife, wishing from the depth of my heart that she got through. That our child was safe. That Allah's blessing has arrived.

They didn't let me in the delivery room. I had to sit and wait here in this chair next to the door, as per the hospital's regulations. Only Afaaf's mother was allowed with her. For the past twenty minutes all I heard were her screams. So filled with pain and suffering that I shook and shivered, shutting my eyes, trying to hold myself in this chair. I fought the need to barge in there. I tried again and again to convince myself that she was taken care of.

I heard it again. Another scream that lasted for those painful few seconds. I couldn't take it. I got up from the chair, still shivering. My hands trembling as I run them through my hair.

"Ya Hayyu, Ya Qayyoom", the prayers came out louder now, "Bi Rehmatika Astaghithu".

Suddenly, there was silence. For a second, the whole place went quiet. Then I could hear the midwives talking in high pitch voices. I couldn't make out what they were saying. I needed to know what was happening. I needed assurance that my wife and child were going to be okay. Advancing towards the door I raised my fist to knock on it. But before I reached it, one of the midwives stepped out.

"Oh, are you...", she looked down at a file in her hand, "Mr. Imran Ameen Kh-"

"Yes", I said, answering quickly.

"Congratulations", she smiled, "Your son and wife both are safe and healthy". Instantly, I felt a pressure release from my chest.

"C-Can I see them.... r-right now?"

"You can see your wife but we'll be taking the baby away for a quick wash", she said and then left quickly.

I ran into the room and saw the another midwife leaving with my son already. I didn't get a chance to see him let alone hold him. Then my eyes fell on my wounded warrior. She was lying down in hospital clothes. Her whole body had swollen up. Sweat covered her forehead as she huffed looking at her mother, who looked back at her proudly. I moved swiftly to get by her side.