Chapter 36: It's a Surprise

As we drove towards my in-laws' place, I had some quiet time in the car contemplating over my past; when I was a silly teenager. All I had known about motherhood were opinions and I thought I knew enough about being a mother. A whisper of a laughter escaped my lips upon realizing the foolishness of my teenage self. I had known nothing. I had only began learning now and my first lesson was 'it's a surprise'. Motherhood will arrive at your door like a surprise blessing from Allah. It doesn't matter if you were waiting for years or only a few months time, when the news arrives it takes you by great surprise. Nonetheless, the blessing of it is felt deep inside one's heart.

     I looked up at the sky and a smile spread across my face. I was beginning to feel this blessing. The blessing of having our own little bundle of joy. The blessing of finally knowing what being pregnant feels like. I immediately began doing tasbeeh, repeatedly glorifying Al-Wahhab (The One Who Repeatedly Bestows Gifts), although we could never glorify Him enough.

     After a few minutes Imran called me, "Afaaf", I turned to him, "What are you thinking?"

    "Oh, I wasn't thinking anything. I was doing tasbeeh"

    "Oh, I thought you weren't feeling well"

   "Nah, I'm feeling much better now", I smiled reassuringly.

   "Alhamdulilah", he smiled back.

   I looked at the road through the windshield, we were about to reach my in-laws' place, "Uhh Imran", I looked back at him, "Remember I told you to keep it between us for now?"

    "Yes ma'am! I remember", he said and then he zipped his lips with a make believe zipper.

     "Good boy!", I pulled his cheeks and laughed at how he got annoyed.

    ****

   When we entered the house we saw the Khan siblings gathered in the living room. They were sitting on the floor and playing on the carrom board. Mariam was cheering for her brother Zaid bhai and Amna and Areej were cheering for Fahad bhai.

     "Hey! You didn't tell me you were playing carrom!", Imran complained as he joined them. I went to sit next to Amna.

    We got indulged in the game until Aunty Sabeeha and Uncle Ameen joined us in the living room asking us to get ready to leave before it got too late. I felt happy to know that Uncle Ameen was joining us but I was left disappointed when he said that he was leaving for a meeting and was only going to drop Aunty Sabeeha and Mariam at the restaurant and leave.

     But his son had visited them after 3 years! And he was going to leave early tomorrow morning. Maybe things still needed time to bring peace between the father and son.

    As per chosen by Mariam, we were going to have dinner at a pizzeria. This was the first time I felt so hungry during the whole day. Zaid bhai and Mariam had reserved a bigger table for our huge family.

     We ordered the largest pizza with different toppings in every slice. It was delicious and I devoured mine. It was sweet how Imran kept asking me if I needed more or if I needed something else to drink before his whole family. I knew all this was happening because of I being pregnant. This pregnancy stuff was surely working in my favor.

     I also liked how Zaid bhai was so considerate of what Aunty or Mariam would like to have. He asked them after every few minutes if they wanted more. No doubt about how much they talked about missing Zaid bhai all these years. Who wouldn't miss blissful moments with family.

    A sight like this made memories rush back to me. Vivid memories. Memories which made me feel like 'it was only yesterday'. 

       I was beyond excited. The day had finally come when dad took us out for dinner to somewhere new. It was their wedding anniversary. Dad celebrating this day was nothing less than a festival.