Chapter 41: Gheera

The Messenger of Allaah said:

I saw myself (in a dream) entering Paradise, and there I saw Ar-Rumaysa’ – the wife of Abu Talhah – and I heard the sound of footsteps. I said, “Who is this?” He said, “It is Bilal.” And I saw a palace, in the courtyard of which there was a young woman. I said, “Whose (palace) is this?” They said, “(It is) ‘Umar’s.” I wanted to go in and look around, but then I remembered your protective jealousy.

‘Umar said, “May my father and mother be sacrificed for you, O’ Messenger of Allaah! Would I feel jealous towards you?”

[Narrated by Muslim 2394, and Bukhaari 3476 & 6620]

Ibn ‘Umar said:

Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari gave a mat to ‘Umar’s wife ‘Aatikah Bint Zayd, and I think that it was one cubit and a handspan. ‘Umar saw it with her and said, “Where did you get this from?

She said, “Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari gave it to me.

‘Umar took it and hit her with it, then he said, “Bring Abu Moosa to me.

So he was brought to him and he (Abu Moosa Al-Ash’ari) said, “Don’t be hasty, O’ Ameer Al-Mu’mineen (Leader of the believers).

‘Umar said, “What made you give gifts to my womenfolk?” Then ‘Umar took it and hit him with it, and said, “Take it, we have no need for it.

[Taken from ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab, His Life And Times, By ‘Ali Muhammad As-Sallaabi, Vol. I, Pp. 134-135 & 251]

Note: This narration isn't and shouldn't be used as a proof of permissibility to hit wives. Also we have no right to question the character of the sahabah. It was hard on the sahabah to restrain from certain cultural practices of Quraish. Do remind yourself of the same Umar ibn Al Khattāb who wouldn't speak back to his wife when she was angry at him. 

Afaaf's POV

Three days have gone by since the incident with Mariam, and Imran hasn't shown even the slightest of regret over his immature actions. He chose to remain quiet about the matter. I didn't try to force it out of him either. I had my reasons for that. I wanted to know how far Imran was going to take this. I wanted to study this side of his which I had been blind to all this time. No wonder why people who fall in love are often rendered fools. Love masks intellect, heart takes over mind, and then nothing can undo it's trickery except that one moment when everything is lost.

There were several times in the past days that I wondered what would happen if I were in Mariam's shoes that day. Would Imran put restrictions on me like he did with Mariam? Would he try to lay his hand on me? Would he lock me up in the house forever? I shuddered at my thoughts. To imagine a man who I have loved so deeply, causing such pain to me, was a deeply depressing thought.

I tried my best to look at the side of Imran which I knew was good, pure and incredibly loving but the feelings of doubt and resentment overpowered me every time. I continued on, fighting this inner battle. I was dying for him to say something, to end this unwelcomed ringing silence which had settled between us yet again.

Finally the day came. It was Sunday morning, everything was going slow. Being heavily pregnant, it was hard to have a good night's sleep due to which I ended up waking up rather late. After freshening up, I hurried down the stairs worried if Amna had served breakfast yet. She was a real help during my morning sickness days, but I wouldn't like to take advantage of her generosity. The last thing I wanted was her turning bitter towards me.