Chapter 32: Zaid Ameen Khan

Imran's POV

Mum had been a bit depressed after whatever happened between her and Aunty Zareen at their place. She looked a bit saddened when I last saw her when we went to Abbu's for iftar. She really loved her sister and she would look over all her mistakes but this time it was more than a mistake.

I didn't like families being divided. It hurt to see the distance growing because of someone's evil intentions. Already their was a friction between Abbu and Zaid and now Mum and her sister. That is why it is very important to seek refuge from evil eyes. They eat away the happiness from our lives. As narrated from Ibn 'Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "The evil eye is real and if anything were to overtake the divine decree, it would be the evil eye. When you are asked to take a bath (to provide a cure) from the influence of the evil eye, you should take a bath."

That day when I had told Abbu about whatever Maria had been upto he was about to go back in their house and give out to her but enough had happened that night inside that household. I regretted going their later on. If only this anger was under my control, so much could've been avoided. However, Abbu's anger cooled down with time but something was still bothering mum.

It was the last day of the first Ashra' ( 10 days ) of Ramdan, when everyone was gathered at Abbu's place for iftar and it was after a long time that Afaaf and I had visited them together. Mum's forced smiles were visible. She was hiding her pain but I knew exactly what was bothering her. After praying Maghreb at the masjid, I had gone to Mum's room to talk to her and maybe try and cheer her up.

"Mum it's okay. Whatever happened, happened. We can't go back and change anything. We have to move on", I sat beside her putting my arm around her.

"It's not okay Imran. Whatever I said to Zareen that day was not okay. I touched her raw nerve. I can't believe I said that to her face", mum sobbed.

"Mum please forget that day. Those memories will give us nothing but pain", I rubbed her back.

She had calmed down now after letting her sorrows out but it was going to take a long time before she would get over it. Time heals all wounds but mum's was a deeper one. I could only imagine how much it would hurt her to be distant from a sister whom she had loved with her whole heart.

****

I wished the beginning of Ramadan for Afaaf and I had been as wonderful as the end. But all goes as Allah has planned. This Ramadan was a special one, one that I wasn't going to forget. As I had wasted a few days of Ramadan at the beginning surrounded by problems, I wasn't going to waste anymore. I had taken this Ramadan as an opportunity to understand Quran and learn translations of as many Surahs ( Chapters ) as I could. I knew the translation of the shorter surahs in the last juz but this time I was going for bigger surahs. This way I could get closer to the book of Allah and feel it while recitation. Also I had been wanting to revive some Sunnahs in my life that many can easily forget. Especially the duas for different settings and occasions.

In the last Ashra' of Ramadan, I was chosen by Allah for something I didn't even imagine I'd be doing. The Imam of the Grand mosque had come to me after Asr saying that he would like me to recite Surah Kahf to him. I was confused as I looked at him cluelessly but as I was already reciting with the Quran open before me so I didn't think twice and started flipping through the pages. I started reciting paying attention to the tajwid. When I finished reciting the 15th aya he stopped me and the praised me a lot. Well, I had 'the gifted voice' so why wouldn't he.

After he was done saying Ma Sha Allah he asked me to lead the taraweeh prayers that night. My heart started pounding when he had asked that. It felt like too much responsibility. I knew the etiquettes of leading Salah but I had never done it my entire life except for leading prayers at college for my friends that too very rarely. This time it was in a grand masjid with a huge crowd behind me that too for Taraweeh! I was nervous but I didn't refuse the amazing offer. It was like Allah wanted me to gather more blessings. Subhan Allah. These opportunities prove the Love of Allah towards His slaves.