Chapter 24: Forgiveness is the KEY

Afaaf's POV

   Afaaf's POV

   I couldn't believe what my eyes were looking at. Was that really Zubair Asim? The Zubair Asim from the same highschool I had been to. The same guy who bullied Muslim girls even though he himself was Muslim and pulled their hijabs just for fun! I wanted to take every step back which I had taken into his house. Not once did it cross my mind that it could be the same Zubair. Life is a bucket full of surprises after all. But this surprise wasn't a good one.

     I couldn't process what to do in this awkward situation. Imran probably could get upset with me if I had walked out so I just tried to keep in the hatred I had for his friend. I didn't say a word to Imran while he were there.

    When I went to the room on the right I saw Khadija talking to another girl who sat beside her on the small couch. It was small room with a small coffee table a just a small couch. A small cupboard too that had some crockery. 

    I said Salaam interrupting their conversation making their heads turn my way. Khadija welcomed me with a warm hug and introduced me to Safa. Safa Nouman's wife said that they lived quiet far from here and since they had the chance they wanted all of us to meet.

     I didn't have any problem being in their company. I knew Khadija very well now since we always met in the hadith course classes. She was very polite and hospitable. Safa was very very soft spoken.

     Khadija brought in dinner. I could hear her giggling as she made her way to us carrying spoons and plates in a tray. Then I saw Zubair move quickly behind Khadija moving to the room where Imran went. I guessed they had a moment. So Khadija's marriage with Zubair was working out maybe? But how on earth was she living with such a horrible person? Didn't she know?

     "Oh! Wow! Ma Sha Allah!", I said chewing on the amazing spaghetti, "Your food is delicious!", I complimented her. Seemed like every girl could cook better than I could.

      "Jazak Allah!", she smiled, "That's one big reason I got married to Zubair", she giggled.

    "Really? So how did you... got to know him?", I asked fearing if she'd feel the suspicious tone in my voice.

     "I worked at my dad's own restaurant so one day Zubair and his family were coming over at the  restaurant to meet me and ask for my hand in marriage. That food that was going to be served to them was all prepared by me. I got to know this from Zubair only after marriage that they were saying that dad had hired an amazing chef but dad said that all of this was made by me. Instantly Zubair and his mum were won over and she refused to have Zubair meet any other girl. She accepted me as her daughter in law at that table. Alhamdulilah we and our families met after that a few times to get to know each other well and soon both of us agreed and we got married a year and a half ago"

     "Lovely!", I just smiled. A year and half is enough to know the person who lives with you. Didn't she even see a slight hint of arrogance in Zubair? Or was she suffering in silence?