Hello

It had been a few years know, three to be exact. After three years she just needed to hear his voice. She had her own life, no where near as happy as she would have expected let alone wanted, and he had his. With a new pretty girl. Which for the record Ziva hasn't even met but deeply hates.

She ignored his calls as those year ago now she just prayed that he would ignore her so she could hear his answering machine, like she had many times before.

She picked up the phone and dialed the number she knew by heart.

******

He had been doing just great for the past three years. Okay, the past two, but he had gotten in to a relationship and has gone all in. She moved in with him. They rearranged his apartment. He said I love you first and he even is thinking about proposing. Got a ring and everything. No one knows of course, he is only thinking about it. Other than a faint pang in his chest that he has had these past three years every time he walks in the building. Oh and that weird number that keeps calling him.

Speak of the devil, the mystery caller was at it now.

He turned away from the center of the pin in his chair. "Listen. I know you have been calling me and then leaving some really weird messages of which sound like you crying and breathing," he took a deep breath and kept going. "But I'm a federal agent and if you keep calling me I will have to hunt you down and find you. That's right!"

"Hello, I-it's me."

"What?" Tony asked his blood running cold.

"I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet."  Ziva smacked herself, could she come up with a more stupid thing to say?

"I-I... Where are you? A-are you okay? Why are you calling? What?"

"To go over everything." She only focused on one question, all she could. She didn't expect him to answer.

"You mean, like what you've been up too? It's been three years." He was now whispering into his phone to keep McGee and Bishop out of it.

There was a small, sad, laugh on the other side. "They say that times supposed to heal ya, but I ain't done much healing."

"Ziva," was all he could get out before the phone clicked.

******

It was week before he got another call, again at work.

"Hello, can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, so, uh. Where are you?" Tony asked. He really had no idea what to say but he knew he had to keep his voice down.

"I'm in California."

"Oh, doing what?" He had no idea she was in the states.

There was another sad laugh. "Dreaming about who we used to be when we were younger and free."

Tony just sighed and said "I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet."

"There's such a difference between us." Ziva sighed even sadder.

"And a million miles." Tony said with a small chuckle. He could tell that Ziva was too in her head.