10. Kismet

"Gilmore!" And loud booming voice called from down the hall.

"Yes sir?" I ask as I reach my editor's office.

"New assignment. I need you to cover a new fortune five hundred company that just opened offices in the city. It's some Internet something or other. Lucy has all the info you need. Deadline is in a week, you know the drill," and with that I'm excused from Mr.Green's office.

I make my way to Lucy's desk. It's nice having someone I know on a personal level in the office.

"Hey Lucy, Mr.Green said you have stuff for my new assignment?"

"Sure do, one sec-" She quickly thumbed through the stack of folders on her desk. "Here you go, couldn't get a whole lot of info on the new offices, all we know is they build apps and their main office is in California. Happy hunting!"

"Thanks! You know what, we should try that lil bistro we passed the other night when we get off, sound good?"

"Sure! I gotta meet Olivia for a gallery showing later but we can get dinner early."

I'm so glad I have Olivia and Lucy here in the city, they are pretty much the only things keeping me sane, aside from Jess.

Carrying the thin folder back to my desk, I settle in to go over the contents.

TLM Inc.

-Build cell phone apps
-Research and development of new technology

.....this is so not helpful.

That is basically all that is in this folder aside from contact info for their public relations manager. Looks like I'm gonna have to set up this interview as soon as I can since I know next to nothing about them.

I pick up my work phone and dial the number listed.

"TLM Incoporated, this is Nadine, how can I be of assistance?" Answers a woman with an accent I can't quite place.

"Hi my name is Rory Gilmore, I work with The New York Times. I am writing a piece about your new offices and I was hoping I might be able to get an interview."

"Ah, let me check our schedule-" I can here the pages of her planner turning. "We can actually fit you in now if that works for you, our CEO just walked in the door."

I glance at my watch, it's only eleven a.m.

"Yeah that'd be great, I'll head there now."

"See you soon, ask for Nadine at the front desk and I will get you to him, goodbye."

***

As the cab pulls up in front of an intimidatingly sleek sky scraper, I gather my things and brace myself for what ever I am about to walk into. I didn't have time to Google the company before I got here. I don't even know the CEO's name.

Walking into the lobby, my red heels click against the marble floors as I head towards the receptionist.

"Hi, I'm Rory Gilmore, I was told to ask for Nadine."

"One moment miss," she replied as she spoke into the headset she was wearing. "She is on her way down, can I get you anything? Water? Soda?"

"No I'm fine, thank you," I politely decline. Last thing I need to do is spill something all over my white blouse.

The clicking of more heels alerts me to a woman walking towards me.

"Ms.Gilmore, hello! I'm Nadine, follow me this way please," she says as she walks towards the elevators. "We haven't got much time but it should be enough to get you started," she said as the doors closed. She pushed the button for top floor.

The ride up was silent and filled with awkward glances and smiles.

"Right this way," she said leading me towards a set of huge wooden doors. "Wait here for a moment."

I do as I'm asked, taking in the opulence of the room. There is a huge conference room surrounded by glass on one side of me and on the other is what I assume to be Nadine's desk and and small waiting area.

"Mr.Huntzberger, a journalist from The New York Times is here to see you," she announces as she opens the wooden doors.

Oh. My. God.