17. Lunch

[Rory]

Oddly enough, I was sad to get out of Logan's car. I kind of wanted to spend some of the day together but I doubt my mom would be too thrilled at the last minute addition to our lunch date.

Although being the savvy negotiator he is, he got me to agree to dinner tonight before our drive back to New York.

Walking up the steps into the Dragonfly, I can already hear my mom's voice...

"Michel! Why did an order for one hundred pairs of hot pink satin slippers just arrive for me?" She shouts as I open the door.

"Well the white ones were on backorder and I just thought why not pick something a little more stylish," Michel's accent has gotten thicker if that's even possible.

"Send them back, Michel. Order the cream or tan pairs instead. No one wants to look like they stepped on a pair of hot pink peeps."

Now seems as safe a time as any to interrupt.

"Hey mom! I don't know, the hot pink may make the guests not want to steal the slippers. Michel's poor fashion taste may have worked to your benefit this time," I point out as I am pulled into an awkward but tight hug.

My mom's pregnant belly has made hugging her normally impossible for now.

"Ahhh so very true. Okay Michel, bring them back. Make sure we replace all the current slippers with these today!" My mom gave him her evil grin she reserves for when she's up to no-good.

"Oh goody. I did the ordering and now I get you put them away too. Lucky me," Michel grumbled as he took the box upstairs.

"And there's that favorite daughter of mine!" My mom loudly exclaimed as she held my hand out like she was showing off a prize on a game show.

"Mom, I'm you're only daughter."

"Yeah Yeah if you want to get technical. Now come on, I'm starving! I haven't eaten anything in twenty minutes!" She announced as she dragged me towards the dining room.

"Note to self: never get between you and food when you're pregnant," I joke. She leads us to a small table in the corner, waiving at the waiter as we sat down.

"So, how's work?" She asks after we've had our drink order taken.

"Oh you know, work's work," I say quickly, wanting off the subject immediately. She always takes an interest in who I've interviewed lately and I'm not quite ready to tell her about Logan just yet. "How's the baby growing going?"

"Oh it's growing," she smirks as she sweetly rubs her six month pregnant belly. "You're little brother sure is a lively one though, always kicking and stretching. You'd think I'd opened a twenty-four hour gym in there the way he carries on!" She laughs.

I hope someday when I'm pregnant with my own baby that I'm half as beautiful and glowing as my mom is right now.

"Well he just knows that he is going to have to keep up with the Gilmore girls once he's born. He's just getting a head start."

Right as I go to take a sip of my iced tea, Sookie comes in carrying a tray full of sandwiches, chips, desserts, and even a cake shaped like baby bump.

"Hey Rory! Sorry lunch is nothing fancy, been too busy trying to decide on what to make for your mother's baby shower," Sookie apologizes as she places the food on the table.

"Ahhh that explains the cake."

"Yeah, but now you guys get to enjoy my practice cake so yay!" She says almost doing a fist pump before heading back to the kitchen.

"Eat up before I eat it all," my mom pushes as she loads her plate down.

***

Half an hour and half the cake later, we are both beyond stuffed. If I wasn't sucking it in, I'd have a food baby right now.

"So what's really going on with work? Don't think it didn't notice how you tried to distract me." Curse my mom for being so observant sometimes.

"Oh Uh I just had to interview someone I really wasn't expecting to yesterday."

"Oh really? Who? Someone famous?" She's getting excited.

"Uh no, no one famous. Just...someone from my past is all," I say hoping she'll drop it. Of course I'm wrong.

"Like who?" She presses, practically on the edge of her seat.

"Like Logan Huntzberger. ..."is to squeeze my eyes shut tight so I don't see her reaction.

"The Logan Huntzberger? The Logan you almost got engaged to? That Logan Huntzberger??" She asks incredulously. I finally peek at her to see her jaw practically on the floor.

"Yup, the very same. Turns out he's now a CEO for a major tech company."

"How did that go? Are you okay?"

"It went pretty bad actually. It was so awkward and then he asked me if I still had the rocket and pretty much lead to me running out of the interview," I mumble the last bit, feeling the burn of embarrassment as I remember what happened.

"Oh my gosh, honey! Are you okay?" She asked again.

"Yeah I'm actually great now. He kind of surprised me and filled my apartment with roses, he apologized, and we talked. He's the one who drove me here today," I tell her.

"Wait, he drove you? Did he spend the night last night? My mother's intuition says he did," she says and I'm can't tell if she means for that to be a good thing or a bad thing.

"Ummmm.....he may have," I squeak out.

"Oh wow okay um you and I are going to have a talk about the acceptable ways to thank a boy for roses another time. Were you guys at least safe?"

Her question embarrasses me further. I'm an adult but being asked this by your mother is so awkward. Not to mention the fact that I can't remember if we were or not. I mean I'm sure we were, Logan's a smart guy. I'm sure he came prepared.

"Yes mom we were," I'm answer just to placate her. "Can we change the subject please. I don't really want to to go over the details of what happened last night with you."

"Okay well are you guys back together then?"

"No I'm don't think so. I mean it's been years and we only just saw each other again yesterday. It's too soon for that. I don't really know who he's become over the last few years. He is taking me to dinner tonight though," I smile at the thought of spending more time with Logan tonight.

"Where's he taking you?"

"Luke's so you don't have to worry. We both agree that we need to talk and why miss out on a trip to Luke's, " I tell her trying to lighten the mood. I can tell she isn't too happy that we spent the night together last night.

"Okay well just be safe, honey. Remember, I'm here if you need anything....and I mean anything," she reminded me.

"I know mom, I know."

Surprise! I updated again lol.

Pretty sure this is the longest chapter yet.

Anywho, I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! Any predictions on what you think will happen?

Also thank you guys for getting this story to almost 1500 reads already!!!! That blows me away!

As always, please don't forget to VOTE and comment if you liked it!!