21. Best Friend

[Rory]

It's been almost a week since I've heard from Logan....

I thought last weekend was too good to be true and it would seem that I was correct. I didn't want to be.

I mean after we fell asleep in each other's arms, we woke up snuggled tightly together. We had an amazing breakfast and he drove me home to NYC. He said he'd call me and he hasn't.

I've been over and over those days in my head trying to see if I missed anything. I mean why would he say he wants to try again and then nothing? The Logan I remember wouldn't have blown me off like this. Maybe he's changed? Maybe he isn't the same guy who waited for me at the coffee cart for days trying to get my attention.

Did I do something wrong?

It's already past five in the evening and I'm here in my apartment, all alone. I know I shouldn't let a guy get to me like this but he has just gotten under my skin once again. I have barely been able to concentrate on my work all week.

Monday and Tuesday I was just excited and hopeful. Wednesday I began to fade till Thursday when I almost broke down and went by his work. I was going to use the whole "Oh I was just in the neighborhood," excuse and everything. That leads us to today, Friday.

He should have called by now.

A knock at the door pulls me from my depressing train of thought. If that's Logan I'm going to hit him for making me this crazy.

"Logan, I-" I start as I yank open the door only find a set of warm brown eyes greeting me.

"Hey Rory, expecting someone else I guess?" Jess asked as he pushed past me into my small living room. "What's with all the roses and why are they dead?"

"Oh uh, they were a gift. Sorry, I just thought you might have been-"

"Logan? Yeah, I heard. Did you hit your head? It's been years since you've seen him, right?" He asked as he made himself comfortable on my couch and grabbed the remote.

"Umm no actually. To both. But it's a long story I don't feel like sharing right now. What are you doing here Jess?" I don't remember making plans with him but maybe I did. I know we texted this week some but I don't remember what all was said.

"Ehh just thought we could hang out, maybe order a pizza. Also my roommate kicked me out since his girlfriend was coming over for their anniversary. Gag me," his disgust makes me giggle.

"Someday you will find the one and you won't be so disgusted by things like that. It'll be you kicking him out then," I joke as I cuddle up next to him on the couch.

I love the friendship we have. I mean we tried the whole dating thing and part of me will always love him but we are far better off like this, as best friends.

"And what if I already have? What then?" He mumbles as he watches some commercial for a new movie. There's an undercurrent to what he says that I'm not ready to dive into. I've got too many of my own problems right now.

"Well then you go after her, duh," I giggle at him. Just his presence has helped sooth the ache that Logan's absence has caused. It hasn't made it go away but it helps.

There was another knock at the door just as the show comes back on.

"Oh did you already order the pizza?" I ask as he gets up to answer it. Always so protective.

"No, I didn't," he says as he opens the door. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"What? Who is it Jess?" Now I'm up and heading for the door.

"I'm here to see my girlfriend, what are you doing here?" Slurs an all too familiar voice that I've been longing to hear all week.

"Logan?" I gasp as I see the drunken sloppy man barely standing before me.