12. Roses

[Rory]

I'm an idiot. I should have found the time to Google TLM before I just showed up there to interview an unknown CEO.

Why did it have to be Logan?

It's been years since I've seen him and after what just happened, I clearly wasn't ready to be face to face again. He came off so professional and together while I made a complete fool of myself.

What was he playing at naming his company after the very Twilight Zone episode that inspired him to give me the rocket I happen to have stashed beneath my bed? I could have died right there on that couch when he asked about it.

"Here we are mam," announced the cabby from the drivers seat. My mind is numb from racing with thoughts of what just happened. I almost forgot to pay the man as I got out to walk into my office building.

I don't even know why I've chosen to come back to work, I'm clearly not in the right mind to be here.

I sneak my way to my office, shutting and locking the door behind me. I collapse into my chair and let the next round of tears begin to fall.

Even after all these years.....I'm still not over Logan Huntzberger.

[Logan]

"Sir? What are the roses for? Did someone pass away?" God, why does Nadine have to be so damn nosy?

"The roses are for Rory, you know? The one whom you called a b.itch the other night. The very same one who just ran out of here after showing up unknowingly to interview me." The look on Nadine's face was priceless. I could tell she was hurt but I really couldn't care less.

"That was her?" She says the last word as if it were poison. "You let me parade her around and give her a tour without telling me that she was the very one responsible for every single time I've had to pick your drunk a.ss up off the floor? She is responsible for you not opening your heart up to me?"

"Oh drop the victim act Nadine, you know you and I don't belong together. I didn't even know she was the one The Times would send. It's not like I planned this. Now are you going to call the florist or am I going to have to do it myself?"

"Do it yourself. When she leaves you again, I will be there to tell you 'I told you so.'" And with that Nadine disappeared into the break room, swishing her hips as a last ditch effort to get my attention I guess. Too bad she was never more than a distraction for me and a rather poor one at that.

Going back into my office, I call up first Rory's office to get her address. That took a lot of sweet talking to get from the receptionist. Next I called up every reputable florist in Manhattan.

I will find a way to show Rory how much she means to me. I never should have let her go in the last and in sure as hell won't let her go now without a fight.

[Rory]

Walking up the stairs in my apartment building was proving difficult seeing as my eyes have tried to swell shut from crying. Coming out into my hallway, a floral scent is floating through the air. It smells heavenly.

I fit my key into the lock of my door and open it to see exactly what was the source of the scent.

My apartment was filled with hundreds, maybe even thousands, of roses. They were everywhere: coffee table, couch, chair, floor, shelves, kitchen counter. Every surface was covered.

In the largest bouquet in front of me was an envelope. Reading it may prove difficult seeing as how the tears have started flowing again, only this time they were of awe and amazement.

The only word on the outside of the envelope was "Ace." As if I needed a confirmation of who had done this. He is the only one who could have done this though how he knew where I lived I don't know.

I manage to pluck up enough courage to open the envelope.

Ace,
I made the mistake of letting you go before, I'm not making that mistake again.

A knock at my door pulled me from reading the simple note a thousand times over like I wanted to.

"Just a minute!" I called, maneuvering around the roses to the door.

I pulled it open and there he was, a single red rose in his hand.