Chapter 2

"Mate" he growled.
I gasped and stepped out from behind Hayden. He quickly grabbed my hand and Alpha Marcus snarled, taking long strides over and gently pulling me to him.
"Mate." He murmured. I slowly relaxed into his arms and sighed.
"Mate." I whispered.
Hayden made a noise of confusion and I pulled away from Alpha Marcus.
"He's my mate." I stated.
"I got that. I think." Hayden said.
"Alpha Marcus. This is my older brother Hayden Andrew Ross. I am Mia Roxy Ross." He growled and I squeaked, jumping behind Hayden. He raised an eyebrow at me as I trembled in fear.
"You are my mate. My equal. Don't call me Alpha. Call me Marcus." He said calmly. "This is my Beta Lucas Hadley."
I slowly stepped out and he took a step towards me. I let him come closer, wanting him near me.
He put his hand on my cheek and stared at me.
"What has happened to you little one?" He muttered.

We walked back to the pack house and I winced every step. Stupid twigs. Marcus noticed my struggle and picked me up with no problem. I laid my head on his chest and sighed in content, falling into a deep sleep.

Dream State
"Hmmm. What a lovely girl." I heard the rogue chuckle. "If only you would stop struggling. This wouldn't hurt so much."
I screamed in pain as he swiped his hand across my face. I whimpered and tried to scoot back.
I was at the hotel room alone. Hayden had gone to get food and clothes. I had heard a knock on the door and went to see who it was. That was my mistake.
The door slammed open and I flew backwards, hitting the wall.
"See? I told you she was alone." The tallest rogue laughed to his two friends.
I whimpered at the throbbing pain in my head as they began the torture.
For two hours they beat me. I don't know why. They used belts and whatever was closest to hurt me. Until one of them sniffed the air and sensed Hayden in the building. They ran and jumped out the window.
"Hayden" I called "please. Help" I whimpered. He came running up the steps and cradled me to him as I sobbed into his shoulder.
-----------------------------------------
I woke up with tears streaming down my face.
I sat up and came face to face with a girl that looked like Marcus. I yelped and jumped back as Marcus came running into the room with a worried expression.
"What happened, Melanie?" He yelled.
"She was crying in her sleep. I shook her awake and she got scared. Don't raise your voice at me." She muttered.
"Hi." She smiled at me. "I'm Melanie. Marcus younger sister."
"Hi." I said quietly. She smiled sweetly and got up, going into the closet.
"What's wrong?" Marcus asked, crawling into bed and pulling me close to him.
I buried my face into his chest and began to cry again.
I can't stay here. Jonathan will come for me. He will kill my mate and the entire pack. I can't let people die because of me again. I have to leave.

A few hours later I had discovered the clothes Melanie had put in the closet. I picked out a pair of black leggings, grabbed a sweatshirt that smelled like Marcus and grabbed a towel, walking into the bathroom.
After taking a shower and getting dressed I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

I had left the pack house and ran into the woods, trying to make it to the border, when I heard something. I stopped, sniffing the air. The scent was familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
Hayden. I said through our mind link. Woods. Hurry. Please.
I heard rustling to the right and whipped my head around. A guy who looked to be around 30 stepped out. He had dirty blond hair, green eyes, and kind of looked like my father.
"Ahh. My lovely little mate." He smiled. I shivered in fear and backed up. "You remember me, don't you? Uncle Jonathan." I snarled at him and backed up even further.
I shifted back and glared at him.
Hayden. Please. Jonathan I said urgently.
Hold on Mia. We're on our way.

"What do you want?" I snarled.
"You." He said.
"No." I growled.
His face changed to one of fury as he stalked over to me and grabbed my face.
"You do not talk to me that way mate. You are mine." He barked.
I brought my knee up and hit him where the sun don't shine. He yelped and stumbled back wards. I took off running towards the pack house with him trailing behind me when I heard a thunderous growl as a black wolf burst from the trees followed by Hayden's blonde wolf. I jumped behind them and they shifted.
"Get off of my land before I kill you." Marcus said in a deadly voice.
"Not until I get my mate." Johnathan looked at me.
Marcus pulled to him and wrapped his arms around me.
"She is Mine." Marcus snarled. "If you so much as touch her I will tear you limb from limb. Now leave."
"I'll be back. Mate." Jonathan smirked at me and shifted, running into the woods. I held onto Marcus as he picked me up and carried me back to the pack house.

"What were you doing so deep into the woods? You were almost at the border." Marcus asked later that night.
"I was leaving." I told him.
"What?" he asked, shocked.
"Everyone around me eventually died. My parents were killed by that man because of me. He's my uncle. He was the Alpha of the Midnight Rock Pack. My father was his brother. When I was 5. He began to abuse me. When my parents found out my father challenged him for the alpha title. Jonathan submitted and my father became alpha. He banished him. He now says I'm his mate. On my 13th birthday Jonathan gathered a pack of rogues and attacked. He killed my parents and my whole pack right in front of me. Hayden took me and ran. We have been running ever since then. If I stay, he will come back and kill you and your entire pack. I can't let people die because of me again."
Marcus picked me up and sat me on his lap as tears cascaded down my face.
"It's okay. I will always protect you. Just please. Don't leave me. I need you. You are safe here. My pack is strong. We will fight for you. Everyone will." He assured me. I nodded and agreed to stay, realizing I need him as much as he needs me.