Chapter 20

I sat in the room, listening, waiting for Jonathan to discover our hide out. All I heard was crashing sounds from upstairs when it all went quiet.
"Mia. Just come out now sweetheart. All I want is the child gone and you to be with me. We are mates. Mates belong side by side." He said "now stop this non sense and get out here."
Everest was awake now and clung to me. I hugged her tight and prayed she wouldn't cry.
"I can smell you Mia. Come out now and end this. I will find you." He growled. It had been two hours and all I could think about was Marcus. I jumped when I heard the basement door open and the thuds of him coming down the steps. I shut my eyes and held Everest close.
Thump. Thump. Thump. The rhythmic pounding of his shoes were making my heart beat faster the closer he got when they stopped.
"Mia." He yelled "This is enough!"
He was at the wall leading to the tunnel. Tears fell down my face as I tried to mind link Marcus.
Marcus. I love you. So much it hurts, but I need to protect our child and I will. No matter what it takes I will protect her.
I kissed her forehead and handed her to Dylan. He looked at me and shook his head, but gave him the look and he bowed his head in submission, sitting down with her.
Dylan. You protect her. You will run when I tell you to and that is a demand. Do you understand me? I mind linked Dylan.
But Luna. Yo-
Do you understand? I put my Luna command on him and he bowed his head.
Yes Luna.
I nodded and walked to the door. I heard the first door open and his voice echoed through the tunnels.
Kitten. I love you too. I am almost there. Please don't do anything stupid. I need you kitten. I will always need you. Always and forever. Marcus's voice echoed through my head.
Always and forever. I said before blocking him out.
"Just come out now Mia." Jonathan yelled. I put my hand on the door and waited til he was directly in front. I flung it open and looked at Dylan. "NOW!" I yelled. Dylan took off running as Jonathan sat up.
"You bitch!" He yelled "You will pay for this." The anger in his eyes scared me, but I had to protect my pack, I had to protect my child.
I shifted into my wolf and crouched down.
"If that's the way you want it then so be it sweetheart." He growled, shifting into his wolf as well. He growled and circled around me, studying me as I did the same. I could tell from the way he moved his back left leg has been injured before and his left eye has better vision than the right.
He pounced and I slid another of him, biting his bad paw. He yelped and spun around, growling. He jumped on me and bit into my right shoulder. I yelped and shook him off, going up to his right side and knocking him on the floor. I got on top of him and pushed his muzzle to the floor. He wiggled around until he could get his paw up, swiping my chest. I yelped and staggered back, shifting back.
"What the hell." I gasped.
He shifted as well, laughing like a maniac.
"I have found your weakness darling." I looked at him, puzzled. "You may be able to handle silver, but not what I dipped my claws in."
"What the fuck did you do." I cried out in pain. My entire chest was burning. I fell to the ground and screamed.
"It's called nightshade my darling."  Is all I heard before it went black.

Marcus's POV
I opened up our link as I got to our house when I felt a burning pain in my chest. I gasped and shut the link. I shifted back and put shorts on.
"Jonathan is here. Everyone surround the house and do not let him leave." I growled out. They all spread out and did as I said. I walked in the house and heard Mia scream.
"Jonathan!" I yelled in anger "I will kill you!"
I flew down the basement steps and saw Mia unconscious on the floor with Jonathan next to her. I snarled at him and he stood up, smiling sinisterly.
"Mine." I growled at him.
"Not anymore" he smirked. I snarled at him and shifted into my wolf, running for him. He shifted too and we clashed. I slashed his face and bit his chest. He tried getting me but I was too infuriated to let up at all. Finally I had him right where I wanted him. I leaned down and bit his neck, snapping it. I backed off and got up, shifting and running to Mia.
"Oh kitten. Please no. God damnit. Kitten please. This was too short. Always and forever, remember?" I whispered. Her eyes started to open and she smiled, reaching up to me.
"I love you kitten. Always and forever." I said.
"Nightshade." She whispered before her eyes closed. I picked her up and slid my shirt over her, running out of the house.
Find my daughter I mind linked the pack. They all spread and I continued to run to Zead.

I burst in and Zead jumped up, looking at me then Mia. His eyes widened and he had me place her on the bed. He cut the shirt and examined the slashes.
"What the hell." He muttered. "There's something in the cuts. But I've never seen it before."
"Nightshade." I said. "She said that before she passed out."
A look of astonishment passed his face and he looked down. He quickly got to work on cleaning it all out and stitching her up. I left the room and sat in the chair outside the door, waiting for her to be okay.