Chapter 35

"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides."

--David Viscott

Janine's POV

I knocked on the library and opened the door.

"Mama?" I called out for her. She immediately tore her eyes away from the book that she was reading.

"Janine! My child, what happened to you?" She asked, approaching me "Why are you so soaked and messy?" She asked

"Mama," I cried

"Ssshhh," she cooed, embracing me. "Hush now, my little dove. Hush now. Mama's here," she comforted while I cried on her shoulder.

"How about you take a bath first then we'll talk about this afterwards. Is that clear?" She asked. I can't find my voice anymore so I just nodded for my reply.

"Very good. You go to any room. I'll get a maid for you," she smiled

"I'll just be in my previous room," I smiled before going out of the library.

I walked lifelessly towards my room. When I arrived there, I immediately went to the bathroom and settled down on the tub. I was too occupied to notice that my favorite lavender scent was mixed on the water.

He just played with my feelings. I thought he likes me but he doesn't. I was so wrong to convince myself that he changed already but in fact, he didn't.

I cried my heart out as the soothing smell of lavender overwhelmed me but it did nothing to make me feel better.

-Throwback-

I heard his words with my own ears. I was following them on their way to the most secluded part where twigs and crisp dried leaves were everywhere. It's such a struggle to walk there while trying your very best not to step on a single twig or leaf.

"Anyway, let's go back to the topic. The topic is not about me. It's about you," I heard Tina said

I crouched behind a bush trying my best to hide myself. I can't peak because I'm afraid that they'll see me.

"What was your question again?" Adam asked.

"You like her. Am I right?"

I sucked in a lot of air. I feel like running away maybe because I'm afraid of what he'll say but I am glued to my spot so I have no choice but to hear out his answer.