Chapter Two

Lolly's P.O.V

  I sighed as I came home. The inn was busy as usual and my family seemed maxed.
  They were all running around as they tended to customers. Even my little brothers and sister were helping out as much as my mom and stepdad allowed.
  "You're late!" My mother said as she smacked me over the head. I snarled but then ducked around the people, went up the stairs, and then into my room.
  Shutting the door I was prepared to flop onto my bed but then I saw a note there.
  'Meet up at the training grounds @ 7:00 sharp. If your late you're gonna be running seven laps around the village.'
                   Genma.
  I snorted but looked over at my clock. "Aw shit..." I muttered when I saw the time. I had about six minutes to get to the training grounds.
  I jumped through my window and began to book it. There was no way I was going to be doing those laps.
  I leapt over a barrel of water and then slid under a street vendor. Jumping up, I raced past team Asuma and then was to the training grounds.
  "I-I'm here..." I said quietly.
  "Nice of you to join us. C'mon and get beside your team mates." Genma said.
  I straightened up and then stood by my team. Jinga smiled at me. His bright purple eyes glowed. I smiled lightly back and then looked at Shiro. Shiro had white hair and dark eyes. He just looked at me emotionlessly.
  Jinga was part of the Hiragana clan. You could always tell from their eyes which were always a deep purple.
  "Today you'll be in a mock battle against me." Genma said. We all looked at him and waited.
  "So in other words, don't just stand there." he added as he appeared behind us.
  I leapt away into the undergrowth and focused on masking my chakra. I the. Decided to just watch while Shiro and Jinga started to fight Genma.
  Jinga was using his needle jutsu and Shiro was using his ice jutsu. Jinga shot needles out of his hand at Genma who dodged it and narrowly avoided being frozen by Shiro.
  Genma then suddenly disappeared and Jinga and Shiro were on guard. They both looked around for him but it seemed that our Sensei was gone.
  "Are you just going to sit here and watch Lolly?" Genma asked in my ear. I jumped ten feet in the air and flipped out of the tree.
  Landing down on the ground I turned around and then made a bunch of hand signs. "Crystal Beast Jutsu." I whispered.
  Crystal tigers suddenly shot forward toward Genma. He leapt back but the tigers continued after him.
  I jumped up and then took out a kunai. I appeared behind Genma and then held the knife to his neck. "Well done Lolly." He then disappeared, "However I'm still better."
  He was holding his Senbon needle to my neck.
  Then his hand froze over. I leapt away and Jinga steadied me with a hand on my shoulder. I had forgotten how fast he really was.
  We leapt away and soon Shiro joined us. "We should do our combo attack." Jinga said.

"Whatever. As long as we take him down." Shiro replied.

I just nodded in agreement.

  So Shiro and I went out into the open and waited. It wasn't long before Genma appeared. "Are you guys giving up?" He asked.
  Instantly needles cane out of nowhere and Genma leapt away. However he failed to see Shiro cast his Shadow Ice Jutsu and as a result his feet were frozen to the ground.
  I then made some hand signs and cast my Crystal Rain Jutsu.
  Huge, sharp, and deadly chunks of crystal rained down on us. I used my chakra and angled them so that they merely pinned Genma down. If I wanted to kill him then I would've but this was just a training match.
  "Good job you guys. Now tomorrow we have a mission. It's a C-rank so come prepared. Meet me at the gates tomorrow." Genma said as he appeared next to us.
  I looked at our Sensei with wide eyes but then nodded. I really thought that we had him this time.

Shikamaru's P.O.V

  Shikamaru was on his way home when the rest of his team caught up to him. "Hey, we're sorry." Choji said as Shikamaru looked at them.
  Shikamaru nodded, "Yeah alright." he said.
  "By the way do you know where Lolly went? We should probably thank her for paying for our meal." Asuma said.
  "She probably went home."

  "Do you know where it is?"

  "Yeah. Come on. What a drag..."

  With that Shikamaru motioned them to follow him. However when they were a little way out from her home, Lolly sped past them.
  "Lolly!" Shikamaru called out. Lolly either didn't hear him or she ignored him because she kept running.
  "Man what a drag... Let's go find her." he sighed. "It seems like you don't like her." Ino stated. Shikamaru shook his head. It was quite the opposite actually.
  He in fact really liked Lolly and couldn't figure out why they stopped hanging out. He figured that she really didn't want anything to do with him.
  By the time he had snapped out of it they were finally at the training grounds. "Whoa. Look at all this." Choji said as they saw Genma pinned by several huge shards of crystal.
  "These rookies definitely are good this year." Asuma commented as Genma talked to Lolly and he other two kids who were probably her team mates.
   Shikamaru just looked at Lolly as she was listening to Genma tell them something. Her eyes were wide and she looked troubled for some reason. Shikamaru hated that they stopped talking, 'Maybe we could start talking more again if we could find a similar subject...' He thought.
  Genma just left and then Lolly's team mates took off.
"Hey! Lolly!" Ino called.

Lolly's P.O.V.

  I heard my name being called and then looked over to see Shikamaru's team waving me over.
  I fought down a blush as I walked over to them. Why was I nervous?
  I made it over to them finally and then looked at them expectantly.
  "Thanks for the money for the rest of our meal." Choji said. I nodded to him as the rest of them began to thank me.
  By the time I looked at the sun I noticed that it was almost gone. Yes, I still had a perpetual fear of the dark, sue me. I guess Asuma picked up on my anxiety since he nudged Shikamaru toward me.
  "It's getting dark, let me walk you home." He said very unenthusiastically. I shook my head telling him that it was ok.
  He then took my arm, "Troublesome woman. I'm walking you home so don't argue."
  I blushed a bit but then took his hand as he lead me away from his team. I didn't expect him to walk me home.
  "You're quieter than you used to be." He remarked. I blushed and looked away. I really didn't talk all that much anymore. There really just wasn't a need now that all of my best friends were either busy or gone.
  He sighed again when I didn't give a reply, "So you won't even talk to me?" he asked.

  "It's not that... I just... Don't really have anything to say..." 

  "Don't have much to say huh? What have you been doing lately?" he inquired.

  I shrugged. I really just couldn't believe that I felt so awkward talking to him. I had known him forever. He seemed to know this since he sighed and pulled me closer. I just blushed even more. However before things could get even more awkward we arrived at my home.
  "Thanks for... Walking me home." I said quietly. Shikamaru smiled and then waited for me to walk inside. I hugged him slightly and couldn't help but blush on the contact of my small body to his tall muscular one. 
   I released him and then walked inside the inn quickly without so much as one look back.

Shikamaru's Pov

   Shikamaru watched as Lolly made her way back inside. He was trying hard not to just run after her and catch her in a hug and never let go.
   However the sound of her door closing jarred him back into reality. He sighed and then began to make his way home. He'd have to make a mental note of thanking Asuma later for making him walk her home.
   Shikamaru finally got back to his home and went upstairs. In his room he rummaged around for something that he hadn't given a thought to in years. He really hoped that he still had it.
   After jarring the drawer on his bedside table open, Shikamaru found what he was looking for. A picture of him and Lolly when they were much younger. He carefully lifted the old picture from the drawer and handled it as if it was the most important thing in the world.
   Shikamaru laid back on his bed and just stared at the picture. How was it that he and Lolly had grown so far apart? They had been the best of friends in their younger days. Well, whatever the case Shikamaru was not happy with that and was going to fix it. 

*******************************************************************************************************

Kaisa-Chan: Neji do I own Naruto?

Neji: No

Kaisa-Chan: Are you suuuuuure?

Neji: I am pretty positive. If it was destiny's will then you would be but it's not.

Kaisa-Chan: Are you SUUUUUUURRRREEE?

Neji: Yes!

Kaisa-Chan: :/ No need to yell.....

Neji: -_-;