Chapter Sixteen

Lolly's Pov

   I glared at the doctors as I sat there with my blankets wrapped around me. They had finished 'healing' me and I was covered in unneccesary bandages. "Why do I have to wear all of these?" I asked them. The doctor sighed again, "Because you have very serious cuts if they get infected it could mean the loss of a limb or worse." He explained. 
   I groaned and then fell back. I really just wanted to get out of this hospital bed. Jinga had come by and told me that they were going to continue with the third round in a couple of days so that we were all at our top condition. Apparently after my match was over Shiro and a girl named Hoshiko were proceeding to the next round along with Jinga, Masamune, and I. 
   Personally I couldn't wait for my next match. I wondered however who I was going to face. I certainly didn't want to face Masamune just yet. From what I saw he was frighteningly strong. 
   I sighed again and twitched as my body spasmed in pain. It really was getting old. There suddenly was a knock on my door before Fuu burst in. She had tears in her eyes and she was immediately by my side with Neji behind her.
   "How are you?" Neji asked while he kept Fuu from opening my wounds. I smiled slightly, "I've been better." I croaked out. Neji nodded and Fuu sat there for a while just holding my hand in hers. "Are you sure that you're feeling alright? If something's wrong tell me and I can go get the doctors-"

"No! I-I mean I'm fine. I promise." I interrupted her.

   Fuu sighed and looked at me annoyed. "Listen you need to get over your fear of doctors because it's really getting old." She said. I rolled my eyes at her she really was bipolar sometimes. We however were interrupted in our chat by another knock on the door.
   "Come in~" Fuu sang. The door opened and my eyes lit up slightly at the sight of Shikamaru. When he saw me he smiled slightly, "Hey, thought that I'd see how you were doing." He said. I smiled at him, man had I missed his presence. 
   "Pretty good aside from this one bugging me." I said and flicked my eyes to Fuu. Fuu in return scoffed and acted offended but we both knew she wasn't mad.
   "In that case my wonderful boyfriend and I will be off!" She said feigning anger as she grabbed poor Neji's arm and proceeded to literally drag him off.
   I smied at my old friend and wished that I could shake my head at her. She really could be a goofball sometimes. "So nothing really aches?" Shikamaru asked as he sat down by me. I rolled my eyes and huffed.
   "I don't know why everyone keeps asking me that, I've had worse." I said. Shikamaru sighed and picked up my bandaged arm, "I know." he said quietly. I looked at the lazy ninja thoughtfully. I could tell that something was bothering him.
   "Hey, are you ok? What's bothering you?" I asked him. Shikamaru just shook his head at me and sighed again. "Shikamaru please. I don't like seeing you upset." I said. Still Shikamaru shook his head, "It's nothing." He said. 
   I glared at him and snorted, "Fine whatever." I said and closed my eyes. Shikamaru sighed in annoyance and then got up. "I just wanted to check on you. I think that I'd better go so that you can get some sleep. From the way you're acting you need it." He replied.
   Before I could snap at him he was gone. Once the door shut I felt an overwhelming sense of emptiness wash over me. I wanted him back. I hated the feeling of loneliness. It was relentless and cold. "Shika..." I whispered as I shut my eyes again. I wished that if I opened my eyes he'd be there but unfortunately it wasn't so.

Shikamaru's Pov

   Shikamaru was supremely pissed off. What was Lolly's deal? So he didn't want to talk about it, he didn't get mad at her when she didn't tell him what was wrong in the back room. She was completely out of line.
   He turned down the street and everyone pretty much stayed away from him. He figured it was the aura of death that he was emitting but he was fine with it. But a part of him also wanted someone to talk to as well. 
   Shikamaru rounded another corner and smacked into someone. "Sorry." He said uncaringly as he got up from the ground. "Are you alright Shikamaru?" Asuma asked.
   Shikamaru looked up and saw his sensei standing there with a bag of groceries in hand. He opened his mouth to say he was fine but Asuma spoke first. "Before you tell me you're fine, don't. I know you Shikamaru and whatever is bothering you isn't fine. I'm not going to press the matter but if you want someone to talk to I'm always here." He said.
   All at once Shikamaru sighed, "What a drag... but yeah I do think that I need to talk about it." He replied.

   "I see, so that's what the problem is." Asuma said as he moved a piece on the Shogi board. Shikamaru nodded, "I can't help but feel mad because she never used to be like this. Ever since that troublesome woman Shion came Lolly's been acting different." Shikamaru replied.
   Asuma inhaled a puff of smoke and moved another piece before he looked at his student. "It's true that Lolly's been different but she's young. She's still growing up and trying to find out who she is. She still has a lot of growing to do as do you." Asuma replied. 
   Shikamaru moved another piece on the board and smiled as he looked up at Asuma. His teacher always knew what to say. Of course it made him feel only a little better but a little better was still better than not feeling better at all. "I honestly don't know how you manage to beat me every time." Asuma said as he looked down at the board to see if there was any way out of losing. There wasn't of course. Shikamaru had calculated every single move and then made the best one.
   "I just feel like she isn't the girl that I know anymore. She seems like a stranger with a familiar face. What a drag..." Shikamaru sighed. Asuma looked at his student and felt bad. He was happy that Shikamaru cared for someone but he was also sad to see his student so troubled. 
   "If it gets to be too much of a problem there is always the distance option. I know that it may not be one that you want to hear but maybe a break between you two would be good." Asuma said finally. Shikamaru shook his head. "At this point I think it might be. I've been avoiding it but if things don't change then it might be the best solution." Shikamaru replied.
   With that Shikamaru got up, "Thanks for listening sensei. I think I'm going to go now though." He said. Asuma nodded, "I'll see you at the arena again then." Asuma replied. Shikamaru nodded and then left.
   He walked to his field and then crashed in the grass. He looked up at the clouds and felt the familiar calm feeling fall over him. Sometimes it was nice just to watch the clouds and not have to worry about anything. 

Lolly's Pov

   I stretched excitedly as I once again was in the arena. The five of us were standing there waiting for the announcement of who was going to be fighting first.
   Secretly I hoped that it would be me because I really wanted to fight. I wanted to also get this over with and just already be a Chunnin. However I was soon brought out of my thoughts when Shikamaru appeared. Apparently he was going to be the proctor this time around. "The first match will be between Lolita Shinjukaze and Shiro Kurokawa." Shikamaru called out.
   My eyes widened as the others left. I had to fight Shiro? I thought back to all the missions that we had accomplished and felt my heart sadden at the prospect of fighting my team mate. We both faced each other and I looked at him sadly.
   "It seems the day has come." I said to him. Shiro nodded, "So it would seem. Don't pull your punches just because I'm your team mate." He said.
   I smiled at him, "Wouldn't dream of it, now how about we give this crowd a show upon the likes of them have never seen?"

"It would be my pleasure."

"Begin!" Shikamaru called out.

   Shiro and I kicked off toward each other. This was it. The curtain was pulled, the ball was thrown, the torch was lit. Our match was now underway and I was not about to lose to him, no matter if he was my friend and my team mate.

************************************************************************************************************

Kaisa-Chan: ALright that's it!!!

Jinga: It was awesome!

Kaisa-Chan: I wouldn't say awesome but it was good.

Jinga: You're just too kind.

Kaisa-Chan: What are you doing here anyways?

Jinga: *Get's very nervous* Uh... Nothing...

Kaisa-Chan: Uh-huh, really now?

Jinga: Kaisa-Chan doesn't own Naruto! *Takes off running for his life*

Kaisa-Chan: Get back here! *Runs after him*