Chapter Ten

Lolly's Pov

   "V-very good Lolly. You managed to avoid me catching you for three straight days." Genma panted. I looked at him smugly.

   "However now we can work on new techniques for you besides your crystal techniques." Genma said while he straightened up.

"Why?"

"Because just crystal techniques alone won't cut it for the third round."

"Ok... so how do we know which ones will work the best for me?"

"That's simple, take this piece of paper and put a little chakra into it. Depending on what it does will tell me what jutsu you will learn the best."

   I took the paper that he handed to me and looked at it skeptically. However I fed chakra into it none the less. Suddenly it lit on fire and then turned to earth and crumbled away. "N-no way." Genma said. I looked over to him in wonder.

   "Most ninja only have one attribute mastered until they're of Jonin rank. You already have fire and earth affinities." Genma explained. I looked at the piece of paper and smiled slightly. 

   "So does that mean that I'll be learning fire and earth jutsu at the same time?" I asked. Genma shook his head. "No, first I'll teach you an earth jutsu and then a fire jutsu. Whichever you're able to perform better will be the type of jutsu that I will teach you." Genma explained.

   I nodded at him and then he set to work on teaching me both types of jutsu.

Shikamaru's Pov

   Shikamaru sighed in happiness. This was the first time in a long time that he was given a break. Now he had the day off to himself. 

   Naturally he went to go watch the clouds as always. He laid back and then stared up at the blue sky only to find that there were no clouds today! "What a drag..." He sighed.

   'There's nothing to watch so maybe I should just go home. However if I do that then I would have to move... What a drag...'  He thought. However still he just laid there in the grass looking at the sky.

   'Maybe I should go and find Lolly... I don't know... what a drag...'  It just seemed that Shikamaru was at an impasse. 

Lolly's Pov

   I panted and laid on the ground. Apparently I was better at fire jutsu than with earth jutsu. "Yo-you're doing good however... this is where we're going to h-have to leave it at... I need to go work with Shiro and Jinga the... rest of the time." Genma panted. 

   I nodded to him and just laid there. It seemed that I would have to find a new tutor for the three remaining weeks before the third round.

   Genma left and I got up onto my feet. I winced slightly at the sting but none the less went in search of one person that might be able to help me.

   I came to a familiar field and saw a familiar dark haired ninja lying in the grass. I grinned and then quietly walked over. Shikamaru had his eyes closed and I grinned even wider. I leaned down near him and was about to jump on him when suddenly, "What are you doing?"

"Aw come on! You're no fun."

   Shikamaru opened one eye and fixed it on me. "What a drag. This is the first day I get off and you're harrassing me..." He finished his statement with a yawn. I looked at him and put on a pouty face. 

   "Don't look at me like that..." Shikamaru sighed. I kept it up and he just sighed again and tugged me down to where he was. "So how's training?"