Chapter 8

//EDITED//

Only idiots would go to their damn office after witnessing some kind of illegal trade.

And I am a fucking idiot!

I finally got out of the park and it only took me two hours of being chased by cold-blooded killers. Eh at least I got out, right?

I run past the pedestrians and don't bother to say sorry to the people I knock over. Honestly, it's their own fault, I mean can't they see I am running for my life? And who the hell just falls over. I didn't push you that hard dude. Someone grabs my arm and pulls me back.

"Where do you think you're running off to?" Says a rough voice behind me.

"Let...go...of...me," I say in between kicks.

"No can do. We gotta make sure you're dead this time."

Panic rushes through me. I can't die like this. I won't. I go limp, letting him think I have stopped fighting, and then I use my advantage to raise my right leg and kick him where the sun don't shine. He stumbles back in pain and lets go of me, I turn around and face him. I kick him in the chest and punch him in the nose causing blood to run. I think I may have broken it.

"You bitch!!!" He yells when he sees blood coming out.

"That's what you get when you mess with me, asshole," I spit at him.

People are looking at us now, and I push my way past the crowd. Seriously, now they decide to pay attention to me?! I quickly hail a cab and tell the driver to go to The New York Times Newspaper building. Once we reach the building, I jump out of the cab.

"Hey kid, where's my money?" yells the cab driver.

"Hold on, I will be right back!" I yell back.

Without waiting for a response, I run into the building. Even though it's past seven, a few people are still in the building working. God, I hope Mrs. Henson is here. Wow, this is probably the first time I ever actually wanted to see her face.

I blame this one on stress. Seriously, it's doing weird shit to my brain.

Taking the stairs two at a time, I finally reach the third floor where Mrs. Henson's office is. I run up to the reception desk where Claudia is working. Even though Mrs. Henson is Lucifer, Claudia is a sweet angel. Whenever I come out of Mrs. Henson's office, exhausted from arguing, she always cheers me up, and that woman makes killer cookies. Seriously, her cookies are worth dying for. Sadly, she has no one to share the cookies with except Jake and me. Her husband died a few years ago, and all her children abandoned, her leaving her all alone. Sometimes I wonder how such a sweet old lady has kids who are so heartless. Thankfully, Claudia is still here, packing her stuff to leave.

"Claudia!" I yell across the room, running up to her.

"Thea dear, why do you look so pale? And why are you here at this hour?"

"Have...to...talk...to...Henson," I say between breaths. "Very important."

"Well, it should be important! It looks like you went rolling in the dumpster."

"Jez thanks, Claudia but is Henson here?"

"Yes she is in her office, but she is about to leave," she says looking at me, concerned.

"Okay, thanks!" I say and give her a quick hug.

I run up to Henson's office and knock.

"Mrs. Henson it's me, Thea," I say, knocking again.