Chapter 16

//EDITED// 

Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is not think, not wonder, not imagine, and not obsess. Just breathe and let life take you where it will, 'cause life's a roller coaster with a bunch of twists and turns. You can plan out your future and stress over it but when you finally get there, everything will be different, and , you may end up doing the opposite of what you planned. Like me, for example—I thought I would get a job as a journalist and actually have a decent life for once.

Not once did I think about almost being murdered, running from murderers, running from the cops, and jumping off a building that was over ten stories tall.

The wind rips through my body as I plunge through the air. My arms and legs are wrapped around James Bond and I am screaming my head off right next to the guy's ear. It seems like we must have jumped from the moon, because we have been falling for hours. James Bond's arm tightens around me and then suddenly, we stop falling.

Did I die?

If I died, why do I still feel alive?

Maybe I am dead but alive as a ghost.

I slowly open my eyes and look down.

Holy shit!

We are still pretty high up, and James Bond is holding onto a railing to keep us from falling any lower.

"I think you made me fucking deaf," he says with a slight Italian accent.

I look at him, and he seems somehow familiar. Damn, what's wrong with my memory? His hair is jet black and spiked up. He has light green eyes that seem lifeless and cold. The dude is also pretty good looking. Based on the little beard making its way, and that overconfident look,like he knows best, I would say he is a few years older than me. I can also see a tattoo on his shoulder, just peeking out of his shirt. All in all, James Bond looks like Hot Guy from the elevator, but a little more serious.

"Well, I am sorry if jumping off roofs isn't part of my daily routine," I snap.

"Watch your tone, girl. I could just move my arm and you would be dead in half a second."

"Yeah, well at least it will save me from you," I mutter.

He looks at me with a serious expression on his face.

"Your big mouth will be the end of you, Ms. Woods, if you don't watch it," he states.

Wait, how does he know my last name?

"Hold on tight, bella."

Before I can get anything out of my mouth. He swings his body away from the building and crashes through the large window. From the pressure of our bodies and how fast we were going the glass breaks into millions of pieces. I can feel my existing cuts grow even deeper as cold glass pieces pierce my skin.

That can't be good.

"Get up and follow me."

"Yes, I am fine, thanks for asking," I mutter.

He looks at me with those same emotionless green eyes. I turn away from the intensity of his stare and looked around. There are printers everywhere, so I guess that we are in the print room.

"Stay by my side and don't go anywhere."

I want to say something back, but I keep my mouth shut. I don't trust this guy, even if he is similar to James Bond and even though he just saved my life. At the end, he could be the one taking it.

He takes out a gun and holds it close to his chest, then he slowly opens the door. He walks out and I follow silently, but before I leave, I see the earpiece on the floor. Quickly, I take it and put it in my ear.

"THEA!!!"

Ouch. My poor ears. I wince.

"Thank God you found the earpiece!"

I can't say anything 'cause of James Bond in front of me, so I just nod.

"Look, I don't trust this guy," he says, sounding concerned.

I nod.

Neither do I. For all I know, he might be one of Walker's men.

"Well you don't have much of a choice other than to follow him right now, but you need to go through the exit door you used. That's the only escape you have from that guy."

I nod again.

Following his instruction, I walk downstairs with James Bond. Once I reach the bottom floor I slowly back away from him when his back is facing me.

Quietly, I run through the hallways and to the exit door. I run as fast as I can to get James Bond off of my back, and to get away from this building. I can hear heavy footsteps following me, but I keep running.

Before I reach the door I remember my plan. The footsteps now have seemed to vanish and when I looked around, there is no James Bond anywhere.

But just because I can't see him, doesn't mean he isn't there, waiting. I quickly press my hand over my ear to get the hard part of my plan over with.

"Mike, listen to me very carefully. I am not going to come back to the apartment. I have caused you enough trouble, so I will leave you alone. Once I have disconnected the ear piece you need to destroy yours. Then make sure no one can trace your computer back to you. Got it?"

"What the hell Thea! You can't just leave! Do I need to remind you the cops are after you?"

"That is exactly why I need to stay away from you. Look, I know you have a lot of questions but just trust me on this one."

"Thea I know I can't say anything to change your mind, but just know even if the whole world thinks you're a murderer, you will still be welcome here."

"Thanks, Mike," I say as I reach the door.

"Yeah, yeah, just clear up this shit and come back alive."

I smile at his last words and throw out the earpiece, smashing it against the wall. I push the door open, but before I leave I look up at the camera near the door. I smile and wave before walking out.

Right now, my plan only has two possible outcomes. I can either survive or die. If I'm lucky, those won't be the last words Mike will ever say to me.