Chapter 14

Jake Woods above^ 

*************

//EDITED// 

"Thea Woods is wanted for the murder of Emma Henson and Claudia Wilson, and is a key suspect in the disappearance of her brother Jake Woods. Currently the NYPD has no information on his whereabouts, and will be mounting a full investigation. Thea Woods is a dangerous woman—if you have any information about her location please contact your local police station. Do not approach her. I repeat do not approach her," says the blonde reporter.

"Thank you, Mary, for the update. This is a picture of Thea Woods, and the number you need to contact if you do see her," says the anchorman.

A picture of me comes onto the screen. It is a picture of Jake giving me a piggyback ride a few years back. My brown hair is flowing over my shoulders and my eyes are filled with happiness. Jake wears his signature smile and a mischievous twinkle in his eyes which usually meant he something planned up his sleeve.

How the hell did they get that picture?! Before I can torture myself with any further accusations, the TV turns off.

"Thea, I thought we agreed you wouldn't watch any more of this bullshit," Mike says. He is standing in front of me with his arms crossed.

"I was bored."

"So you decided to watch the news?"

I shrug and get up from the couch. Walking over the to kitchen I grab a water bottle and I lean against the counter.

"I'm a reporter, I gotta be more alert of my surroundings."

My eyes land on the newspaper as I drink my water.

BREAKING NEWS: THEA WOODS—A WANTED CRIMINAL AND MURDERER ON THE LOOSE

Before I can reach for the paper, Mike snatches it away.

"You' re feeling guilty, Thea. You think this is all your fault and it isn't. Watching and reading this bullshit isn't going to help you."

But it is my fault. Jake would be here if it wasn't for me—if I wasn't in this mess in the first place, he would be alive.

"You need to start pulling yourself together, and then we need to brainstorm our next move."

I look up at him, confused. "Our next move?"

"Do you really think I would leave you to fend for yourself? I know you didn't kill those two people, no matter what the papers say. Even though you can be pretty violent sometimes you could never kill someone—especially not Jake."

I feel a pain in my heart at the mention of his name, but at the same time I feel happy. Mike has every right to just leave me, but instead he has nursed me and let me stay at his apartment.

"Thank you," I whisper.

Mike gives me a bear hug and I wrap my arms around his waist.

"Now, stop moping around pick yourself up."

"You would make a great therapist," I say sarcastically.

"I know I would, but dealing with one messed up person is tiring enough."

I hit his arm and he glares at me playfully.

"Ouch, woman! Is your arm made out of steel?"

"I didn't hit you that hard," I cry.

"Women these days," he mutters.

"Cry baby," I mutter back.

"Andddddd she's back!"

I laugh at him.

Mike is right, I need to pick myself up. Jake's death is still unresolved. I need to get justice for my brother and clear my name. Probably put some assholes in jail on the way too—and I have the perfect plan.

***

"Are you fucking insane?!"

I have just explained my plan to Mike and he doesn't seem to appreciate my genius.

"That is the stupidest plan you could have ever come up with!"

"You're the who said we should come up with a plan, and I made one—what have you done?," I snap.

"Yeah, I said make a plan to save you, not get you into deeper shit!"

"Well do you have a better idea?"

"Yes actually, I do—it's called telling the cops the truth!"

That could work too I suppose.

"Okay, so I just waltz in there and tell them I accidentally witnessed a guy named whatever his first name is Walker killing someone, then I ran into him again in the middle of an illegal trade, after which he shot my boss and her receptionist, kidnapped me and my brother, and while we were trying to escape my brother got shot and I left him there to die. Oh, and I will have about two seconds to say all that before they tackle me and cuff my hands together."

"They won't tackle you."

"Really? That's all you have to add?"

"Well your plan is no better! You want me to help you sneak into a heavily guarded international newspaper company!"

He does have a point there.

"Why the hell would you want to go back there anyway?!"

"I uploaded the video I took during the trade between Martinez and Walker to the computer in my office. We could use that as evidence that I'm innocent, and it might help us track down Walker."

Mike seems to think it over and looks at me uncertainly.

"Look, Mike, all you have to do is go into the building and hack into their system. No one will even know about you if I do get caught."

"I don't care if I get caught Thea," Mike yells.

"Well then what's wrong with my plan?"

"Why can't you just tell the cops about the video, and have them go to the office and get it?"

I stare at him. Honestly, it sounds like a pretty good plan, but I don't want to tell the cops. At first, I thought about telling them everything, and letting them find Walker.. but if the cops find him, he will only be sent to prison—unless of course, he manages to get the charges dropped.. For a powerful man, getting out a murder charge wouldn't be so difficult. I want him to suffer, and the only way to guarantee that he will, is to take him down myself.

"Quit looking at me like that!" He says.

"Then stop being a crybaby and grow some balls!"

"Fine," Mike snaps.

"Then you agree with my plan?" I ask hopefully.

"Okay."

"Yes! Thank you!"

"Calm down, woman! After you get the video, you get your ass out of there like it's on fire, got it?"

"Aye aye captain," I say, saluting him.

Watch out, Walker, I'm coming for you.

There's a new villain in town, and she won't rest until you feel every bit of the pain and misery you put her through.