Chapter 19

//EDITED//

The voices come again.

The haunting voices that I have tried to forget.

This time, I am completely alone, and there is no one to save me. Not even Jake.

They're calling me but I am rooted to the ground and can't move. I can't go back there again. Why is everything from the past coming back to bite me? Isn't what happened in the past supposed to stay there?

"It's because you haven't moved on. You're still stuck in the past. You have been lying to yourself, hiding from the truth, Thea. If you want to avenge the innocent souls that were taken from you, then open your eyes wider. Look around you and see that not everything is what it seems," my mother's voice rings through me.

I don't know if hearing her voice should comfort me or make me uneasy.

"Thea, open your eyes. Avenge me—avenge our family."

My eyes fly wide open and I spring up.

What the hell was that?

Springing up so quickly was not a good thing, because now I feel like vomiting from the sudden force. I slowly lay my head back down. I don't care where I am, I need to rest but when my eyes close, those last few words stick to me.

Avenge me. Avenge our family.

***

I hear people whispering around me, making me stir in my sleep.

"She can not be a part of this," a voice says.

"Sir, she already is. Walker thinks she has some kind of information about our plans," Caleb's voice answers the other.

"She is too young and doesn't know what's going on. I won't let this feud get another innocent soul."

"We will take her to a safe place where no can hurt her sir."

"No, she will stay with me," said the other voice firmly.

"With all due respect, sir, you won't be able to help her if Damien finds her, and she should be able to choose to live with her family."

Family.

That word is a pang in my heart. I slightly move in my sheets which causes both the men to stop their conversation.

"Thea, are you alright?" I hear Caleb ask me.

I nod. I can feel his presence close to me and for some reason, it brings me comfort. His hands rest on mine and he slightly squeezes it.

"Why don't you open your eyes, Thea? Is there something wrong?" He asks, concerned.

Why is he being so nice to me?

I slowly open my eyes, squinting until I become used to the lighting.

"No," I say, as I stare at his face.

I see him let out a breath of relief and he gives me a sweet smile.

"Well, that's good to know. Don't know how I would live if I couldn't see your pretty eyes anymore."

My heart melts.

A blush spreads across my face and I smile at him. Before I can say thank you, someone clears their throat.

Caleb gets up from the side of the bed and my eyes widen when I see who it is. He looks the same as the last time I saw him, but older. I can see the stress clearly on his face where laughter used to be. His hair is entirely grey, with not a single brown strand remaining.