Chapter 17

Caleb^^^^

//EDITED// 

It's snowing as I run out of the exit door. The freezing cold water hit my face as I run through the streets.

Jake always loved snow.

A heavy feeling washes over me as I picture him running around in it like a five-year-old. We would build snowmen with kids at the park, have snowball fights, and go sledding. Even though my brother was twenty-five he had the heart of a five-year-old. What's so horrible, is that I never saw him dead. The same as my parents. Sure, I saw him dying, but what if he is still alive? What if he got help and made it?

No.

I need to stop.

All these thoughts are just going to kill me even more.

Mom and dad are dead, and so is Jake. They will never come back and I need to move on from the 'what if's'. To do that, I need to get back at Walker.

I don't care if he doesn't get arrested, or sent to jail. All I want is the satisfaction of knowing that I made him suffer. It may be evil, but everyone has a little evil in them, and when someone robs you of something you thought was priceless, it bends you. It destroys you to the point where the only thing left is revenge.

Walker has a multimillion dollar international business in which he holds great pride, so I will make sure his company falls to utter pieces in front his eyes.

My scheming thoughts are cut short when I hear sirens in the distance. I pick up my pace, running through the now crowded streets. I push past some people, but others see my urgency move out of the way. Sirens are everywhere and I can hear the cops shouting at pedestrians to move. Suddenly, a gunshot fires and it turns into chaos. People start screaming and running to get to safety. I follow the crowd, hoping to blend in, but stop moving when I feel something tug on my hoodie.

"Follow me if you want to get out of here alive," a deep voice sounds behind me.

He gently puts his hand behind my back and pushes me to walk. The guy is behind me so I can't see his face and, to be honest, I don't care where he leads me at this point, as long as it's warm. The snow is picking up and it looks like white dust is flying everywhere. The streets are getting pretty slippery too, and I almost fall a few times, the guy holds my arm for support. Even though I know he might be one of Walker's men, he has a nice vibe. Not once does he treat me harshly like the others did, he is gentle, like I am as fragile as glass. He even offers me his coat when he sees me shivering.

Maybe this is some kind of plan.

After walking out of the panicked crowds, he brings me to a deserted street. Down the side are a few cars, and he leads me to the white Mercedes.

"Get in," he says gently.

After seeing me hesitate, he vaporizers in front of me and waits. He is basically your typical American boy, with blonde hair, a tall, muscular, frame, and green eyes. He is wearing a flannel, jeans, and a beanie that only cover somewhat of his hair.

"Look, Thea, I know you're afraid and you have a lot of questions. I bet your first one is how a stranger knows your name," he says, chuckling.

I stare at him. Why is he being so... nice?

"You have every right not to get in this car right now, and you have every right not to trust me, but I need you to trust me. If it makes it any better, my name is Caleb."

The way he says it makes me want to trust him. After years of experience, I can tell when someone is lying, and when they're telling the truth. If someone is lying, even if they're skilled, they would make some kind of movement, even if it is as small as moving a finger. If they are telling the truth, they will look you directly in the eye, and not once will they look away, not even once.

So when he says I can trust him, I know he is telling the truth. And if he isn't, then I'm in big trouble. I nod slowly, and a wide smile spreads across his face. He opens the car door for me; I get into the back seat and he follows in behind me. Once I settle in, I feel like someone is watching me. I look to the front seat and my eyes open wide.

"Elevator Guy?!" I say, pointing my finger at him. Then I see someone shift in driver's seat and my eyes land on someone else that looks familiar.

"James Bond?!" I say, pointing my finger at him now.

"Dude, why didn't you tell me you changed your name?" Caleb asks.

"I didn't," he mutters.

"I thought you were a good guy," I say to Caleb, accusingly.

He raises his hands in surrender. "Hey, if I told you these bastards were in the car would you have come?"

He has a good point. Then it suddenly clicks where I've seen them before.

"You guys work for Asher Martinez?" I ask slowly.

"Ding ding we have a winner!" Elevator Guy says enthusiastically.

My face pales as I remember seeing them the night I was kidnapped by Walker. Caleb sees my freak-out expression and his face is sympathetic.

"But we won't hurt you, Thea," he says, trying to comfort me.

"Yet," James Bond murmurs under his breath, though still loud enough for me to hear.

I am guessing Caleb heard it too because he stares daggers at the back of JB's head. I scoot closer to Caleb, 'cause right now he's the only one giving me any positive vibes.

"Aw look, Cally has a new buddy," Elevator Guy says sarcastically.

"Don't call me that—and plus, you guys are just jealous I got her here. I mean come on! You couldn't even bring her here safely. Leo didn't know how she looked like and Raph almost got her killed."

"Well she's here now so let's just leave," James Bond says, who I am guessing is actually called Raph.

"No, wait up. Hold on!" I yell, making Raph turn around and look at me.

"Yes?" he says coldly.

"I am not going anywhere with y'all. If I remember correctly, it's because of you three assholes I am in this mess right now."

I am in a car filled with three men who could possibly kill me, but I don't care. They deserve every word.

Elevator Guy, or Leo, whistles, "She has guts."

"Yeah, it could get her killed," Raph says.

I glare at him.

"Look, Thea, you're in danger and we can protect you," Caleb says.

"I don't need protecting. Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I'm helpless, so stop treating me like a damsel in distress," I snap.

"I am really starting to regret doing plan A, and not skipping to plan B now," Raph groans.

Well he is just a bucket full of sparkles and unicorns, isn't he?

"Naw, I am enjoying this. Can I keep her?" Leo asks.

"And second, women are not property! We are humans just like you men, so treat us with some respect," I say, glaring at Leo.

"Feisty—I like you," he says, winking at me.

I just continue to glare at him.

"We can argue about this later ladies, we have company," Raph says, putting his seat belt on.

We all look back and there are a couple of cops driving our way. Raph puts the car in drive, ignoring my protests, and backs out of the driveway. I looked out the window and that is the stupidest thing I could have done, 'cause right then my eyes meet one of the officers.

Oh shit.

I quickly turn around and faced the front.

"Hey Raph, I think you should step on it. They might or might have not seen me," I say nervously.

He grumbles a few curse words and speeds out of the street. Police cars and sirens ring through the air as we drive madly through the streets of New York.

And that's how I end up in a high-speed car chase with the cops.