Chapter 35

The words that came out of Mike's mouth made me shocked but hope fluttered through my heart. My eyes went wide and I started at Mike trying to see if he will disappear along with the good news. 

"How do we know you're not lying?" Asher asked. 

We were outside with the rest of the boys and they all looked at him not believing a single word but I trust him. He has been my brother's best friend  since I could remember and he would never lie about something so big as this. 

"You don't and I can do nothing to prove it to you, but show it to you in person," Mike replied. 

"I am going," I said already making up my mind. 

"You're seriously even considering this?" Caleb asked. 

"I trust him Caleb and if there is a slight chance that my brother is alive I won't just throw it out the window. I am going." 

Asher glared at Mike and he then directed his glare at me. 

"You even said that he was killed right in front of you Cahill!"

For some reason, it hurt when he said my last name instead of first. 

"Yeah but everyone supposedly dead aren't so dead anymore, " I shot back.

"Well she isn't going to change her mind so we can just go to New York I mean it's one of our stops anyways," Raph reasoned. 

"Fine but don't come crying to me when he betrays you," Asher spat. 

His voice was filled with hate and disgust that it made me step back. I looked at his now dark black eyes. 

Is he the same person that kissed me? 

The same person that looked so lost and vulnerable looks so ........ hateful. 

"Well if you guys want to go we better catch our flight?" Mike said. 

I nodded and I slowly took my eyes off of Asher. We all piled into Raph's car and drove to the airport. 

It was amazing how I didn't get caught yet by the police but we still couldn't take any chances so we went through the back of the airport and  took Asher's private plane. 

The plane ride was filled with a suffocating silence. It seemed like everyone was in their own  world. Caleb was looking out the window, Leo was sleeping, Raph was talking to Char, and Asher was starting at his computer working. 

I started at him while he typed on his laptop. He had his work face on which was basically blank with emotions. Until a couple of hours, I never knew he even knew how to express feelings. He was always so closed up that  he seemed lifeless. I kind of understood why I mean his father was killed right in front of him. Now it makes sense on why he is so hell-bent on finding the Plans before anyone else. 

He looked up and noticed that I have been staring. Feeling ashamed I look down at my hands finding them quite interesting. 

"Why did the cookie go the hospital?" Mike asked me. 

I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Just answer the question. I am trying to cheer you up jesh." 

I roll my eyes but I was happy to have a distraction from my thoughts. 

"Because he felt crummy."

I shake my head at his cheesiness but smile a little. 

"Why was the baby strawberry crying?"

"Mike this-"

"Because it's mom and dad were in a jam." 

To that one, I laughed. I didn't care how cheesy it was, Mike was trying to cheer me up and right now I needed that. He laughed along with me and then we laughed at each other's laughs. 

It was actually quite pointless into why we were laughing but it stops when Asher slams his computer shut and walks off to one of the rooms. 

"What's wrong with him?" Mike asked. 

"I don't know," I whispered the truth. 

*****************************************************************************

The plane was landing soon so I got up to wake up Leo who was still sleeping like a baby. I walk into his room and see he was curled up into a ball sleeping literally like a baby. 

He was so adorable. Slowly I walked towards him and I poked his sides until. Slowly he starts to wake up and  he groaned from annoyance. 

"Stop it Thea."

"We are about to land Leo, get up," I said as I continued to poke him. 

As I was poking him Asher steeped out of the bathroom. I look up at him and he captured my eyes in his. Finding his gaze too intense I look away and see Leo getting up. 

"Fine, I am up mom!" He yelled and steps into the bathroom. 

Finding it very awkward I turn around to leave but Asher grabs my arm before I leave. His face was emotionless like usual but I couldn't tell if he was mad or normal. His eyes were both black and brown that it seemed like the two colors were having a war. 

"Cahill whatever you think is going on or is going to happen. It's not."

"I know," I said. 

"Good because I want to keep this less difficult than it needs to be. We are almost done with the hunt. After all this, we will each go our separate ways." 

"I know," I said again. 

"Also know that the kiss didn't mean anything. It was a mistake that I deeply regret."  

Leo steped out of the bathroom and I go in next. Shutting the door behind me I leaned against it. 

Why does it hurt so much when it doesn't mean anything?

I can't let anyone in. Everyone that I let in hurted me and I can't get hurt again or I might just give in. I need to stop feeling this need, it will bring me more sorrow in the end. I need someone that will stay in my life so I won't have to worry about another goodbye. Asher doesn't fall in that category and he never will. 

I just have to let go. 

"I know," I said at last with a tear rolling down my face.