Chapter 22

//EDITED// 

I have never been good in awkward situations. Heck, sometimes I even hated being around people. That's why I chose photography—because I can always hide behind my camera. It's a shield I have come to rely on, and right I am unprotected.

It feels much like the awkward moment when you have no idea how to start a conversation, with the added pressure of five men staring at me like I'm a martian from outer space. My eyes meet Caleb's, who is the only person here that I trust.

"Thea, you're bleeding," Caleb says, breaking the silence.

And sure enough, my wounds are wide open again, and blood is seeping through my shirt, dripping on the elegant white carpet.

"How did you manage to reopen your wounds in the course of like, one hour?" Leo asks.

"I am sorry, but you could have warned me before opening the door," I snap back.

"Why were you even near the door?" Leo asked.

"Because this is America, and I am pretty sure that people from Asia could hear Raph's yelling—no offence, dude."

Raph glares at me.

"Well, I am glad you're here, Miss Woods," The old guy says. "My name is John Andrews. You might not remember me, but I was a close friend of your mother."

"How do you know her?"

"I was once her professor and mentor."

"I think we should get her back fixed up," Caleb says, looking at me worriedly.

"No, I want answers." I snap.

I'm getting tired of all the unanswered questions going through my mind. It is eating me up inside. I just want the goddamned truth, people, nothing more.

"Who's Cahill? Whose Black? Why was Walker after my Grandfather? Why are they both so set on in ruining my life? Why am I here? What does he mean by plans and tech? How—"

"Miss Woods, please, I will answer all of your questions in time, but first, let Caleb check your back. You're losing a lot of blood."

"Come on, Thea. Once you're all patched up I promise we will answer all your questions," Caleb says, giving me those puppy eyes that I can't resist.

"Fine," I sigh.

Caleb leads me out of the room and as I walk down the hall I can still feel the cold stare of Asher's eyes. I turn and meet his gaze, and I shiver in fear.

There's something about him that isn't right.

***

Once Caleb has nursed my back, we all return to the same room again, but this time I am going to get some answers. We are all seated at a table with John at the head. Raph and Caleb are to my right, and Leo and Asher are to my left.

Asher still hasn't said a word to me—all he does is glare at me now and then. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under right now. John clears his throat and snaps me out of my trance—I looked up at him expectantly.

"In 1984, a group of scientists and doctors were assembled to invent a new piece of technology that would change the health profession as we know it," John starts. "The tech would be inserted into the patient's brain, and it would ease their pain. The intent was for them to feel relaxed while the tech does a scan of their whole body to complete a diagnosis. It was to be a revolutionary invention that would have helped the doctors tremendously, healing as fast as they were admitted."