Chapter 26

As I am walking through the elegant floors of the ballroom I try to fit in. People around me were wearing expensive tuxes and dresses as well as expensive accessories and makeup.  In the middle, a big chandelier hung with people underneath dancing with their dates. There was a bar to the right side of the ballroom and I was sitting on one of the stools. Something tells me I am going to need some alcohol to get me through tonight. 

"Getting drunk right now wouldn't be the smartest thing you could do right now Cahill," Asher said as he sat down on the stool right next to me while I finish up my second shot. 

I completely ignore him. 

I still haven't forgiven him of what he did to me. I don't think he should be forgiven. He hit me and made me feel pathetic. However, I didn't make him see that. The next day I got out of bed like usual and went through the day as if it never happened. I refused to show him that he made me feel weak. That was everyone's ultimate goal if someone is trying to hurt you so I won't give him that. 

What really sucks is that Martinez and I are stuck with each other until the end of the day. Leo, Caleb, and Raph are working outside of the ball party that the museum is holding while we work in the inside. 

"I think as dates you guys are, suppose to be looking like you two kinda don't want to kill each other," Leo said through the earpiece. 

"Like I give a shit," I mutter. 

"We need you two to look convincing otherwise this whole plan will fail," Leo said. 

"No, we won't I can guarantee you that if I leave right now no one will notice," I said. 

"That is true," Asher agrees. 

"Okay well, Raph is trying to make the directors think there is something wrong with the Mona Lisa so we could get it out of the bullet proof 1.52-inch-thick glass so you guy's can sneak in there and try to see if there are any clues," Leo explains. 

"I still don't understand how he's going to do that," I said confused. 

 "The painting is at a permanent temperature of 43 degrees Fahrenheit and 50 percent humidity, so Raph is going to change that by hacking into the museum's system and changing it slightly enough to have them remove it."

"In my opinion, if he can hack into the system then their security sucks," I grumble. 

"Not complaining right now cause if he couldn't we would be screwed," Asher said beside me. 

"Caleb will meet you two when Raph gets it out but until then try not to raise any suspicion,"Leo said ending the call.

"Do you want to dance," he ask after a minute of silence. 

I wait for him to take it back but he doesn't which means he is being sincere. However, that still didn't change my answer. 

"No."

"Good I didn't want to anyways."

I roll my eyes and another few minutes of silence falls. 

"I was angry," Asher says after a minute of silence. 

I turn and look at him for the first time. Asher is wearing a rich black suit and a white shirt and tie. He has a black apple watch on as well and you could see a beard making it's way on his face making him look very attractive. Sadly all this attractiveness is wrapped in a douche bag personality. 

"I was angry and frustrated. You yelling at me was not helping and I took out my anger on you."

"I don't care, Martinez," I said rolling my eyes.