Chapter 8 -- Red Raven's suit

Back in middle school, Sophia Brown was queen bee. She wasn't evil, however. She was just a beautiful, intelligent blonde cheerleader that every guy wanted to date. Then she fell from grace when she was caught cheating (not only on her boyfriends, but on exams) and going to wild parties, and basically got herself kicked off the team. It wasn't until sophomore year they pardoned her, allowing her to rejoin the cheer squad. Now she acted like a true mean girl.

"Della?" Mickey reaches for my cheek but I brush him off. I know who lives on Fourth Street. I had playdates with her before we became arch enemies.

"What's wrong?" I hear Mickey perfectly fine, but I'm stunned to where I'm not actually listening. He places his hand on top of mine, but I stand almost immediately after my realization.

"Is it Red Raven?" He sighs.

I numbly nod. Why is Red Raven's suit at Sophia's house? What part does she play in this? I knew she was wicked, but this was insanity.

"I need to go." I walk into the house, leaving Mickey to hear the slamming of the creaky swinging door.

I walk right past my parents who are still talking to Mickey's parents. They don't pay me any attention. When I reach my room, I realize I have a follower. I turn to spot Mickey shadowing me.

"What're you doing? I have to change into my suit." I snap at him. I'm surprised my dad didn't stalk him up here, considering I was going to my room.

"Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize. Wait, when did you get a suit?" He takes a few steps back after I've jumped at him.

"Nevermind that, let me go!" I hiss, using my speed before he can stop me. I rush to my room and slip on leggings and a tank top. I make a dash for the front door again, zooming past Mickey.

I'm sure I caused some commotion back there by slamming the door behind me, but I can't focus on that.

Jonas meets me at Fourth Street. He ran here since he only lives a few blocks away and probably didn't want his car to be noticed. Every one at school knows who the ratty, dark blue Dodge truck belongs to.

He bends over, panting. He really needs to work out more if he wants to be my sidekick.

I use the back of my hand to slap his stomach. "This is her house?" He asks, straightening up. I nod, bitterness boiling inside of me. I knew Sophia was an awful person, but being in the loop with a super villain? A new low.

"Okay, what's the plan?" Jonas asks. I clench my teeth.

"You're going to read her mind. Her bedroom is on the second floor. Can you do that?"

He squints, "I'll need your help to get up there." Before he says anything else, I speed him on top of the roof. I watch as he stumbles around for a moment before he gathers his balance.

My feet lead me to the front door. I've got a plan, but I hope it goes accordingly.

I knock, three times to be precise. Finally I wait for her to come to the door. As soon as I see an inch of it open I dash in. I'm only the wind to her. From the top of the stairs, I watch her bewildered face in amusement. I continue to rush upstairs.

Her closet door is open, so I check there first. No super suit. Though I do find the mask of Red Raven. The suit has to be here.

I know I should be fighting off the Red Raven from the city right now, but something is fishy. Do we really have two Red Ravens on the loose? How did that happen?

"Who was it honey?" I hear Mrs. Brown call from somewhere in the house. Sophia replies from just a few feet from her bedroom. I quickly turn invisible.

"Um, I think somebody just pulling a prank." Her voice sounds unsteady.

"Okay. Do you think Nick's coming over today?" Her mom's question forces me to stop in my tracks.

"Mom, he goes by Mickey now. And no, I think he's hanging out with some friends."

I feel like I've been shot in the stomach. Why would Mickey be here?

"Well that's nice. Your father loves him, by the way. I'm glad you are finally together again."

What the heck? Mickey can't be dating this witch! He can't be... cheating on me... Can he?

"Mom, please, it's not official yet." She's laughing. I can hear the lightness of her voice. She's probably smiling about stealing my boyfriend.

"Give it time. Now go start on some homework. " Her mom replies. I hear footsteps coming to her room. I discovered there was no proof in her bedroom other than his mask. But it's the suit that was chipped.

Sophia enters the room and mutters something under her breath. I'm sure Jonas caught it if I didn't.

"Shoot. I left my bookbag in the livingroom." She slowly takes the narrow steps down to the living room, and I follow, just much faster. I need to get there before she does.

I unzip her bookbag with just seconds to spare and find his suit. There's too many surprises in this house today. I pull my phone out of my pocket and snap a picture, two seconds before she arrives in the doorway. In those two seconds, I turn invisible and then zip up the bookbag. Maybe my invisibility helps me more than I thought.

Sophia sits on the black leather couch and slides her bookbag close to her. Her eyes widen at the suit. Maybe she really was clueless? Was Red Raven trying to frame her?

"Crap, I forgot he left me in charge of this." She takes it out and runs to her room, sneaking past her mom and I watch her finally tuck the suit into her top dresser drawer.

I run out of the room. Whatever she's thinking or planning, Jonas knows. She's not innocent anymore. And now I have to wonder what her and Mickey are up to.

Jonas is still standing on top of their roof when I exit the house. He sees me and ushers for me to help him.

After I've gotten my sidekick off of the roof, I immediately start asking questions. He glances around the neighborhood and then grabs the crook of my arm, leading me to his house.

About a block away, he speaks up, "We're going to need to talk to Ash immediately. She needs to know what's going on."

I force him to let go of my arm.

"Jonas what does that blonde haired evil cheerleader want with Mickey and why is she working with Red Raven?" I'm almost yelling at him.

"Shhh! Be quiet until we're at my house." I shut up until we're in the safety of his home.

"I'm texting Ash to come over right now." He tells me. I sit on the couch, beginning to take off my mask and suit. His parents may not be here, but I'm uncomfortable being the hero right now. I feel so humiliated. Is it true Mickey might be cheating on me?

Jonas brings himself to sit beside me. I allow him to put an arm around my shoulders. There's no denying what's going on in my head to Jonas. He knows what I'm thinking even when I don't want him to.

He rubs my back, trying to comfort me. I'd be lying if I told myself he wasn't cheating. I can't give myself hope. I will not put myself in denial.

"Why don't you take a nap until Ash gets here." Jonas hands me a blanket and I lie down on my side on the light brown sofa.

I don't know how long it'll be before Ash arrives, but I allow myself to doze off. How did I let myself become the hero? I certainly don't feel like one.