Chapter 25 -- Run for the hills

It was a little hard to explain to the nurses what exactly happened. My natural instincts, after all, weren't all that natural. Who gets startled and pushes the bar up? Me. The idiot. The one that put Jonas in the hospital.

He looks so peaceful lying there. His eyes are shut, and so are his lips for a change. They said he would be alright.

They don't know about his super power.

All night I've been sitting by his bedside, waiting for him to wake up. The doctors said he wasn't in a coma, so why won't he wake up already? I need to know if I ruined his power. A bar with 100 pounds on it can't leave you unscathed in your brain.

What if he wakes up with annesia? Of course more thoughts like this flood through my mind. Just what I need to stay calm.

"Della, we need to talk." Mason appears from the doorway. I blink and remain sitting in the metal chair.

"Don't give me this attitude, I didn't do anything wrong. You were the one who snuck out and went to my hideout without my permission. This is on you." He scolds. His voice obnoxiously cuts through the air.

"Don't you think I know that?" I snap back, "Now my best friend is unconscious because I spazzed out. I'm such a clutz."

Mason sighs and walks over to me. He's wearing gym shorts and a plain black t-shirt, what he was wearing earlier this morning. I realize I haven't changed clothes either, but I haven't been home yet. Looking up at the wall clock, I see it's ten a.m, and I've been sitting here for six hours. My fingers brush along the the hem of the t-shirt I wore to bed. My athletic shorts leave my legs freezing. Did I really just slip on my Keds last night to meet up with Jonas?

"Look," he plops into the chair next to me, "The nurses said he'll be alright."

"But what if I took away his only power?" I whisper, thinking it over for the millionth time.

Mason's quiet for a moment. He stares at Jonas, contemplating.

"You're in love with him, and he's in love with you. His ability to read minds won't change the way he's been looking at you for years." Mason pats my hand and leaves the room, slowly I might add. As I watch him walk away, something touches my arm.

It's a good thing I don't have a barbell in my hands at the moment. Jonas' eyes flutter open after he reaches out for me. My heart is beating a million times a minute.

"Jonas!" I scream out. I'm sure his parents, who are waiting in the hall, will come running in any second now due to my shriek.

He smiles, painfully. "Hey Del. What happened?" Okay, good, he remembers me. No signs of amnesia.

"I kind of... Hit you in the head with a barbell." I sit next to him on the bed, although I sit upright while he lays down.

He lets out a low whistle, "That knocked me out pretty good. I feel like Sleeping Beauty." He chuckles and then suddenly looks sick. Quickly, I cup my hand to his face.

"You probably have a concussion. Don't over do anything." I absentmindedly run my fingers through his hair.

"Jonas?" I think I should ask sooner rather than later.

"Yes?" He looks over at me, but he's still wincing in pain.

"Can you... Can you read my mind?" I blurt out. I can't believe I'm so insensitive.

Jonas squints, trying to concentrate. No. No, he has to still have it. He's the only one that knows me. I don't even have to explain myself around him.