Chapter 27 -- The Mystery Gang

"I'm telling you, man! The wires are sliced to pieces! There's no way we can drain her now!" Mason puts Red Raven on speaker phone. Ash, Jonas, Mason and myself sit around the phone in my room, three of us eavesdropping while Mason does all the talking.

"So what's the plan?" Mason asks bluntly.

Red Raven sighs, "I don't know. I think I can fix it in a few days. Well, not me, but the real, intelligent Red Raven can. We'll change it to this coming Friday. That gives us four days to fix the machine."

This Friday is the homecoming dance. What is he thinking? That's a dead give away to his identity if he leaves the dance to go to the warehouse.

My eyes grow wide in realization. I grab Ash's wrist and rush into the hall.

"What?" She whispers.

"The one on the phone is Thomas. Mickey wouldn't plan the attack on the night of the dance. It would be suspicious." I rush to tell her.

Ash taps her chin, "You may be onto something. Let's go listen to the rest." She leads the way back into my room.

"Okay, okay, I'll be there. I'll make sure she's the only one that leaves the dance." Mason says in a huffy voice. Careful, Mason. Keep playing your role.

"Alright, see you then." Red Raven hangs up and we're left to stare at each other.

Jonas looks at me with a sad smile, "We're gonna do this. We're going to take him down."

I smile back, "Heck yeah we are. So we can agree we're all going to the dance right?"

Mason shrinks back into the corner of my room, still holding Ash's hand. I roll my eyes, "Your girlfriend's going, therefore you have to too."

"But Ms. Bridges is going to be there! She hated me!" He whines.

"Grow up, Mason." I throw back at him. Jonas puts his hand on my shoulder, attempting to keep me calm. I lean back on to the navy blue wall beside Jonas. My arms cross over my chest, my anger still directed at Mason.

All of a sudden, a knock on my bedroom door startles all of us. It's four o'clock, no one else is supposed to be home.

"Hey, what's going on in here?" I don't look up, but I recognize dad's voice. Everyone freezes in place.

"We're just hanging out." Mason replies nonchalantly.

As I look up at dad, his eyes find their way to Jonas and me. His jaw clenches.

"Uh-uh. No way. Separate." I glance at Jonas, who is stunned.

"Dad-" I start. There's a good foot between us, but that's not enough for dad. How does he know we're even together?

"No. Separate." I hop up from my spot on the floor to sit in my bean bag chair.

"And you too, boy!" He points at Mason. Mason scampers to jump onto my bed. At this point, I don't think dad realized any of us were dating, he just didn't like what he saw.

"Now what the heck is going on in here?" He exclaims, a fury spreading across his face that I've never seen. My dad is usually more peaceful than my mom.

"We're discussing Red Raven." Mason begins.

"Why? The real threat are all of those villains on the loose. Have you turned on the news today? They've kidnapped half of the civilians of High Rock."

I jump up from my seat, "What?!?"

Dad sighs, running a hand through what's left of his slightly graying hair.