Chapter 29 -- Mother's intuition

Today is the day.

We fight Red Raven and we hope we keep our lives. If I do live, my powers are gone. The atmosphere for the four hours I've been awake is anything but joyous. I tried to sleep in and pretend the day wasn't among us. Jonas wasn't going to allow me to do that.

After reading the files yesterday, Jonas and Ash decided to sleep over. All of us were pretty shaken up with the news that Thomas and Mickey were brothers. Maybe we should have seen it coming.

Ash and I slept in sleeping bags in my room. Mason and Jonas weren't exactly best friends so Jonas slept on the couch downstairs. I woke up to Jonas sitting criss-cross beside me. Ash was gone, but it was around seven a.m when I was awakened.

"School?" I groaned, rubbing my eyes with my fists.

Jonas smiled, despite my lack of willingness to wake up. "Good morning to you too." He leaned down to give me a kiss on the forehead. The smell of Dial soap overwhelmed me.

"Why do you always smell so good?" I slowly got up and made my way to my closet to pick out an outfit.

"I don't. I just make sure I smell good around you. Usually I smell like sweat." He admitted.

"How... Charming?" I chuckled as I laid out jeans, a white tank top, and a navy blue cardigan.

"Just being honest," he laughed, "Now hurry up and get dressed. I made us breakfast downstairs." Just like that, food fixes everything. I shooed him out of the room so I could get dressed.

The outfit isn't something I would usually wear, but today is a day like no other. Why not dress up a little? I walked out of my room to find Jonas waiting on me. He grabbed my hand and walked beside me down the carpeted steps. I try not to think about how the end of the day is going to ruin me, because I know Jonas is reading my mind, making sure I'm okay. I have to be brave today. There can't be any doubts.

I forgot how well Jonas can cook. The scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage left me wanting more as I was rushed to go upstairs to brush my hair, teeth, and cover some bruises on my face with make up. Ash had to help with that to make sure I didn't go overboard again. Once we were done, Jonas lead us out the door and we took my car to school.

The whole morning went by in a blur. I'm not sure I even took notes in the first two classes. Now that it's lunch time, I am fully alert. Yes, food gets me through rough days.

The bell rings for lunch and I bolt out of my english class like there's no tomorrow. Of course, I'm not using my super powers. Am I?

I'm standing in line with a tray when Jonas puts his hands on my shoulders. "You okay?" He whispers in my ear. What I love most about this situation is he didn't invade my bubble. No hands were placed on my waist in an attempt to be romantic. He was simply trying to comfort me.

I sigh, "I'm getting there. Maybe once my stomach stops growling I can think straight." Jonas laughs and points to chicken nuggets for the lunch lady to plop on his tray.

"Everything's going to be fine. Just think about how much fun we're going to have at the dance tonight." He smiles from ear to ear.

I smile back, "Can you even dance?"

He purses his lips in thought, "I've been going home and playing Just Dance every day for the past week. I'm an expert."

We take our seats at our normal table. The one that's against the back wall away from popular students. Ash is staring at us intently, with a scowl on her face.

"Have you two even kissed yet?" Ash may be shy around 99 percent of the school, but when she's with us, she's always blunt. Remember when I said she never stops asking questions? This is proof of that statement.