Chapter 17 -- The ship has set sail

I tossed and turned the whole night. This wouldn't have been a big deal if I could have slept in the next day. Except, I had to go to school today.

My morning was off to a late start as I woke up 20 minutes after my 7:30 alarm. What woke me up was someone throwing rocks at my window.

When you think of someone throwing rocks at your window, you imagine your sappy boyfriend trying to get you to come outside. In my case, it was my two best friends reminding me that I had to get an education today.

I could've stayed in bed all day, and claimed I was still recovering. The fact of the matter is I don't think that would have went over well with my mother. I had been all over the city, doing my best to fight crime. If I could do that, she would not be okay with me sleeping my day away instead of attending school.

"What do you two nimrods want?" I yell out my window.

"We're here to help you get through the day!" Jonas shouts back in a chipper tone. He tosses some leaves into the air, which I was not aware he was holding to begin with. Ash glares at him, because the leaves flew back to land in her midnight black hair. She brushes off her floral skirt, for exaggeration.

My room is a bit chilly, which is odd because it's warm spring weather outside. The gray sweatpants I'm wearing don't cover my bare feet that are suffering from frost bite. Oh look at that, icicles are forming on my ceiling.

"Okay, well you can start by getting up here to help me lay down some towels. And stop throwing rocks-"

I don't get to finish my outburst as Jonas tosses one last rock at my window. He misses and hits my forehead. I suppress my urge to shoot an icicle at him. If I knew how to do that.

Before he can apologize, I shut my window and expect them to come through the door any minute. I'm always the last person out of the house in the mornings, so I haven't locked the front door yet. Though, as a superhero, I should probably start changing that habit and make sure it's locked at all hours. As I wait for them, I begin to put together an outfit. At least school doesn't start until 8:30.

"Why is she so grumpy lately? Is it-"

"It probably has something to do with the fact you hit her with a rock." Ash's snippy voice cuts through the walls.

Jonas and Ash are walking up the steps, I can hear them bickering. Except they're talking about me as their argument for a change.

My bedroom door swings open, and I watch Jonas slip onto his back. His white t-shirt starts to soak up the puddle.

"Um... Ow." He blinks before he decides to get up. Ash cautiously steps around him, her dainty foot tiptoing to avoid the same puddle.

"What happened in here?" She gasps as she observes the room.

I lay a towel down on the puddle Jonas just slipped in.

"My new powers." I murmur, walking past them in the doorway to the hall closet adjacent to my room. I gather bundles of towels in an array of colors and begin to pass them out to them.

"Have you heard from Mickey?" Ash asks. The question caught me off guard. I hadn't heard from him. Not a 'Good morning' or a 'Goodnight', and nothing in between. Yet, I didn't notice. Does that make me a terrible girlfriend or him a terrible boyfriend?

"Can I borrow a shirt?" Jonas pipes in. Ash and I look at him, dropping our previous conversation.

"Um... I'm not sure you'll fit in anything I have..." I begin.

He rolls his eyes, "I meant  your brother's clothes. Geez, I'm not that ignorant." He walks over to my brother's poorly decorated bedroom door. Stickers of super heroes and unknown bands are plastered against the stained white door.