Chapter 11 -- The monster behind the mask

Jonas declares he's going to search for Ash. It doesn't make a difference to me. That candy bar can't make up for the pain I'm enduring. I knew I was sore, but this is a new level of pain. It feels like I really did get in a car accident. What did Red Raven's mind control do to the rest of my body?

The CNA barely helps me, and I wouldn't want her to anyways. After she unplugged the IV, I immediately felt drained. However, I don't want to lean on someone else to help me get better. She's just like a guard rail; in case I slip, she's there to keep me from falling.

She opens the door for me as mom brings me a change of clothes, including sweatpants and a t-shirt. They both quickly exit. They're smart enough to realize I'll snap at them again if they linger for any longer than necessary.

I'm finally alone, I think to myself. I take my ponytail down and my earrings out. I was still wearing makeup from the dinner. That was going to be a hassle to get off in a shower that supplied me with a bar of soap and trial size shampoo.

Finally, I take a look in the mirror. Yikes! There's a risen bump in my hair. As I touch it I realize that's probably the source of my constant headache.

Other than the dirt and sweat across my face, (my entire body, to be precise) I appear to be fine. Maybe mom will bring me some extra shower supplies but it looks like I'm stuck with the bare minimum.

I lock the door and take the gown off, finally letting the cool water hit me. That's when something registered in my mind.

My suit. Did Jonas hide it? He'll be sorry if my parents find our suits. They'll kill me, but not before I kill him.

I try not to think about the questions lingering in my mind. I occupy myself with getting cleaned up.

My shower is quick and painful. At least I smell decent, but nothing fancy. I smell like the hospital itself. I wipe my face dry in exasperation. I need to be home, plotting my next attack on Red Raven. Far from this place.

The bathroom doesn't have a vent or fan, so I'm perspiring as I manage to slide on sweatpants. This is torture. I can't wait until I check out of this place.

The mirror is fogged up, but maybe that's a good thing. I know what I looked like before. Hopefully a shower made it better. I don't care at this point. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

That brings me to wonder where Mickey is. Sure, I've only been here one night, but Jonas called my parents, why wasn't Mickey informed? Mason did say something about him being upset when I left the house. I would be too if the roles had been reversed. He knew I had a job to do, though, so did he really have a right to be angry with me?

I hear voices come from outside of the door. Normally I don't eavesdrop, but they're whispering, whoever it is. That automatically leads me to believe I'm the subject. I press my ear to the door.

"She's a big girl, she can handle herself, Audrey." My dad seems to be addressing my mom.

"She's not handling it well, James! Look at her!" Mom hisses, her voice louder than dad's.

"She needs to do things for herself. It's her future and we said we wouldn't get involved." Dad inputs.

"I know, but-"

"No buts."

Silence fills both sides of the door. They don't believe I can handle myself, but in what way?

Whatever they're talking about, they're going to eat those words.

***

It feels so much better to be wearing sweats than be in that flimsy gown. I didn't have a hairbrush, however, so my hair is tangled and thrown up into a sloppy bun.