Bonus Chapter 1 - Gang initiation after lunch

Jonas' POV
8th grade

It's not easy to balance being an athlete, having good grades, and hanging out with friends. Somehow I've managed it, though.

But the universe wanted to see me juggle super powers on top of that. Splendid.

I'm not entirely sure why I have powers. It's rumoured that you have to have parents that are supers in order to have them too. There's also a rumour that it's just built in our genes by freak accident.

You're a mutant, Jonas.

I haven't told a single person that I have the ability to read minds. How does one bring that up casually, anyways?

"Hi, I'm Jonas, and I can currently read your exact thoughts. The answer is yes, you should see a doctor about your athlete's foot. That's really gross." If only I could say that out loud. Nick Michaels really needs to get that checked out.

"Jonas!" I turn around to see my two best friends Della and Ash come running up to me in the hall. Oh boy, middle school girl drama. They only make a point to find me during the day when they need a guy's opinion on something. Turns out, being able to read anyone's mind makes it really easy for me to give advice. They should take me more seriously.

"Yes?" I turn on my heel once they've caught up with me. We all have Algebra 1 together this block.

Ash is wearing her usual colorful skinny jeans. Today they're bright blue, paired with a black top and black Vans. Della is sporting her typical Nike sweatpants and a white fitted t-shirt. Meanwhile, I'm wearing black gym shorts and I have a bright blue shirt on with matching blue shoes. Ash should be proud of me for having some color coordination for once.

They look to each other. Della's the one to speak up, "I'm thinking about asking Josh Reid out."

I roll my eyes, "He already has plans this Friday."

Ash and Della stop in their tracks. I turn around to see them staring at me like I just sprouted another arm. What did I say? Do I have something on my face?

Someone put a 'kick me' sign on my back again, didn't they?

"What?" I ask, baffled by their stunned silence.

Della blinks a few times, "How did you know I was going to ask him about Friday?"

Oh.

Jonas Coleman, you are hereby deemed an official idiot.

I shrug my shoulders, "You always ask us to hang out on Fridays. I figured that was your go-to free day." Good save.

Ash crosses her arms over her chest, "But you never talk to Josh Reid. How do you know he's busy on Friday?"

Mentally, I groan. Seriously? I'm pretty sure Ash is going to grow up to be a detective.

"Jonas? What's going on?" Della steps closer to me.

Ash suddenly begins to smirk and that's when I become worried. He doesn't want Della to date Josh because he likes her.

"No!" I exclaim, appalled by Ash's mental accusation. They both give me a curious look. I've seriously messed up. This secret has been mine to keep for five months, and I let it slip as easily as this?

I clear my throat, "I happened to overhear Josh say he had plans, that's all." My forehead is all sweaty now, I can feel my hair being drenched with it.

Ash isn't buying my story. "Plans to do what?" She switches her weight from one leg to another.

I bring my hands up to wipe my face. "He's going to see a movie." I'm in too deep with this. The fact of the matter is, I'm not lying about any of this. I overheard Josh and his friends in the locker room saying they were going to see some new movie. The only part of this whole situation that makes me squirm is Della caught the mention of Friday, when she hadn't even said what day of the week. Big oops.