Chapter 18 -- Hail storm

At Lincoln Grove, a pep rally is the most time wasting activity. Granted, if the marching band played, it wasn't as boring. The marching band only appeared at the football game pep rallies. The basketball team got a wimpy spirit walk where they paraded through the halls and finished off with a showing of their skills in the gym.

I put up with it, however, considering I was dating Mickey. Ash and I stood beside each other in the bleachers as the players made lay-ups. "Have you seen Jonas?" Ash asked me, scanning the crowd of people entering the gym.

"No," I replied, watching Mickey score again. He brings the end of his jersey up to wipe off his sweaty forehead. I'm allowed to admire his abs right?

She punches my arm, to which I turn on her sharply. "What was that for?" I rub my bruised forearm.

"What'd you do to Jonas?" She yells at me. Her phone is grasped in her hand.

My eyebrows crease in confusion, "Nothing?" What is she talking about, and why does she look panicked?

"He says he's not coming to the pep rally." She stomps her foot in frustration. More like jealously because he decided not to be here and she did.

"Well where is he?" I ask. I'll admit, I was not worried. I was still checking out Mickey. Mickey stopped for a second to wave at me, but I heard giggling girls behind me thinking it was for them. I didn't wave back, I just smiled.

"He's not responding. He said he'd had enough-" Coach Krites picks up a microphone and starts to go on about the basketball team's amazing winning streak and how we're going to do in the playoff game tonight. I can't hear myself think over the booming of his voice. I grab the phone out of Ash's hand to read for myself what he texted.

I've had a rough day and I kinda feel sick to my stomach. I'm not going to the pep rally. Plus, I've had enough of certain people ruining my day.

"Certain people?" I shout over the roar of the student body.

She shrugs, but I know she knows who he's referring to. Is it me? What did I do to him? She obviously thinks it's me or she wouldn't have accused me.

"Ash," I look her dead in the eyes, "Where is he? Don't tell me you don't know." She sighs and reluctantly informs me of his whereabouts.

I duck out of the bleachers and tell the teachers guarding the door I need to use the bathroom. Once out of sight, I turn invisible and sneak out of the school. I'm starting to get more use out of my invisibility.

Jonas is probably just arriving at the old house. I completely forgot about meeting Crossfire. Is this why Jonas was upset with me? I wasn't asked to be here until after school, though.

The weeds grow around the frame of the house, creating an eerie feel. I cautiously grab the knob and push open the door. The first thing I see is Jonas hitting a punching bag.

"Jonas?" I begin. Crossfire is nowhere in sight.

"What?" He doesn't even look over at me. He throws in another punch at the bright red bag swinging from the ceiling. Why didn't I notice that it was there yesterday?

"Look at me." I command.

He grabs the punching bag dangling in the air and strips his gloves off. Now he's normal Jonas, wearing his t-shirt and jeans.

"Don't you have a pep rally to get back to?" He sneers, turning back to the punching bag.

I rush up to his side, grabbing his shoulders and turning him to face me. He draws away from me, acting childish.